Pura Vida Bracelets: A New Trend For A Good Cause

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

New trends are arising daily, whether they are hairstyles, outfits, or even shoes. You name it; trends are forming. One I was recently introduced to was Pura Vida bracelets.

I was first introduced to Pura Vida bracelets through my friend on Instagram. She had posted a picture saying she had just received her Pura Vida bracelets in the mail. Each bracelet was made with different colors and styles. Some were just a wax-coated string, some were braided, some had beads, and others had charms.  I figured I could at least go onto the website to see the collection and prices. It was when I started looking through the website and the different collections that I realized that these wax-coated string bracelets were more than what they appeared.

The Pura Vida website opens up with the latest products being sold like any other brand website, but the difference is that the Pura Vida website provides the story on how their bracelets became a success. Pura Vida bracelets are made in Costa Rica and mean “pure life” in Spanish. “It’s about being free and living life to the fullest.” These bracelets are handmade and they each contain a different color combination. You are going to have a hard time picking just one. I know I did.

These bracelets, which you can accessories with any outfit, aren’t even the best part about the Pura Vida brand. The best part is the fact that every bracelet purchased provides a job for artisans in Costa Rica. Yes, every $5 bracelet you buy provides someone with a job. Do you want to know something even cooler? Pura Vida also makes bracelets for specific causes. Each cause has different color strings for their bracelets, and the causes these bracelets represent range from Breast Cancer to Army to LGBT to Wildlife and more. They may even have bracelets for causes you have never heard about.  What’s cool is that a small proceed of the bracelets price goes to the cause, so if you buy a $5 bracelet, they donate $1, or if you buy a $12 bracelet, they donate $2. As of right now, Pura Vida has made $666,721 in lifetime donations.

The creators of the Pura Vida bracelets are Jorge and Joaquin who live in Costa Rica. Griffin Thall and Paul Goodman came across Jorge and Joaquin when they went to Costa Rica for their college graduation trip. Griffin and Paul asked them if they would make some bracelets to bring back to the States. Little did they know they were going to be starting a movement. Pura Vida bracelets are now being sold in “3,500+ surf shops, boutiques, college book stores, and large chain stores around the world.”  So get with the trend people! These bracelets are becoming a movement and you’re going to want to be a part of it.

Article Source: 1

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3

Hi everyone, my name is Alex and I am a sophomore English major at Pitt. I love to read and I am obsessed with sports, be it soccer, football, volleyball, etc. I watch it. I am originally from Philly so Eagles fan all the way and before you ask I prefer Geno's over Pat's but Dalessandro's over Geno's. This is my first year writing for her campus and I am excited to see what happens:).
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt