The Pros and Cons to Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

My addiction started at a young age. It began with just sneaking small sips out of my mother’s mug. It then led to my mother brewing me my own cup, and now it’s grown to three cups a day; black with one sugar. Hello everyone, my name’s Jennifer and I am addicted to coffee.

College students are no strangers to coffee. In fact, it may pump through most of our veins. You have one friend tell you coffee is unhealthy and you have another friend telling you it boosts brainpower. I’d like to believe the latter, but I wanted to find the truth out for myself! It turns out that there are both Pros and Cons to drinking coffee.

Pros:

1. It tastes damn good. Hazelnut, French Vanilla, Dark Roast, Light Roast, Columbian!? The list goes on and on with flavors!

2. Coffee gives you energy. Big surprise there! Whether staying up late studying for finals or drinking it to stay awake for your 8 am class, coffee can be a useful tool in giving you that extra boost.

3. Coffee can help prevent diseases. Coffee beans are actually plant products, and plants are filled with phytochemicals and antibiotics to help fight off cancer, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and diabetes! It’s like a warm, delicious, natural medicine.

4. It promotes social behavior! Many people socialize with coffee. Old friends, new friends, siblings, employers, and of course, dates. So, the next time you see your crush, ask him to go out for a cup o’ Joe! Coffee shop atmosphere, warm beverage and good conversation? What’s not to like?!

5. Studies show that drinking a cup of coffee in the morning helped with cognitive function and memory with learning new information, especially with aging. Caffeinated subjects did better than non-coffee drinkers!

Cons:

1. Coffee stains your teeth and gives you bad breath, bleh. Make sure you have a mint on you before getting too close to people, or carry Colgate Wisps (Those small, disposable, waterless toothbrushes! They’re heaven sent. You can find them at any drug store). Drinking coffee with a straw can reduce stains because it doesn’t hit your teeth directly, or rinsing with water after drinking can help too because the coffee hasn’t set on the enamel fully.

2. The caffeine in coffee dehydrates you, and too much can cause premature wrinkles in the skin. Drink water with your coffee, or better yet, add chia seeds to your water and let it sit for 30 minutes. The chia seeds help you stay hydrated.

3. Too much coffee can cause stomach problems. By raising stomach acidity, it can lead to ulcers, heartburn, or even impair digestion.

4. Calories! Calories! Calories! Coffee itself is an extremely low calorie beverage; it is the trimmings added that cause the caloric rise. Skip the venti iced peppermint white mocha with extra whipped topping. Those drinks can rack up over 700 calories! Keep it simple, and get a skinny latte or even just the house brew!  

5. Addiction. Caffeine is addicting and comes with withdrawal symptoms like any other addictive substance. Cutting back too quickly or doing daily activities without coffee can cause the following health problems:

• Constipation
  • Depression
  • Drowsiness
  • Headaches
  • Loss of appetite
  • Possible nausea and vomiting

Just make sure that if you do become addicted, you slowly cut back so your body can adjust to the change. I’m currently working on fixing this problem myself. It’s difficult. I’m a zombie without my coffee, a mean zombie with a raging headache. I’m taking it one step at a time!

Simply put, coffee is all about moderation. Too much can be harmful, but the right amount can be beneficial! The moral to the story is, don’t abuse coffee. If you drink it in the right amounts, you’ll experience more pros than cons. Remember, coffee is a warm hug in a mug, and it solves just about everything.

References:

1, 2, 3

Photo References:

1, 2, 3

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt