Pretty Little Liars: Lions, and Tigers, and More Lies Oh My

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Warning: Spoiler Alert!

The summer finale of Pretty Little Liars has finally arrived and as the Liars do best, left us with jaw-dropping moments to keep us wanting for more. So ladies, if you have yet to see The Betrayal, I suggest you stop reading and pick up the remote.

The episode titled, “The Lady Killer,” opens up with Aria and Spencer comforting a hysterical Hannah, an ambulance, and a shaken Emily speaking to the police. The scene then jumps to two days earlier with Spencer, Aria, and Hannah watching the news of Garrett’s murder case about to begin all the while waiting for Emily’s arrival to apologize (at least she thinks so). The girls plan on saving friend by forcing Emily to listen to the cold truth about Paige. Emily, however, sees it differently and walks out. 

A bitchy Emily is no surprise since the season has started. I mean who could blame her after losing Maya three times to boot camp, running away, and “A’s” revenge. Yet, this new Emily has turned her back on her friends after they have shown much loyalty to her. We all understand what it’s like to have a blind spot, especially with a new boo. Yet, can we blame the girls for being suspicious of Paige, who has a history of hurting Emily before? The answer to that is no, but to each their own opinion. I believe that we can all agree though, the girls are looking out for Emily, and in return for her stubbornness got the love of Hannah’s life shot (P.S: never leave your gun unattended next to a killer Caleb); granted it was not by Paige. However, she is still not to be trusted. Especially with Jenna’s cryptic message on “being careful with who you hang out with”. At least Emily has learned her lesson with Maya’s psycho stalker Nate (I mean “cousin”). Dear Emily, never go without your girls up to a creepy cabin while “A” is still out to the loose. By the way, did the voice over the phone telling Emily to get out, creep anyone else out?

Let’s head over to poor Aria and Ezra whose relationship can never catch a break. This season has been set on discovering more of Ezra’s past and what have we discovered? Ezra’s family is beyond loaded, he has a crazy protective mother, oh and he has a five year old son unbeknown to him. At least Aria knows the truth and surprise, surprise, just as she is about to Ezra of her scheme seeing his ex; guess who shows up at his door; none other than Maggie. Maggie and Aria pretend not to know one another while Ezra shifts nervously to introduce everyone. It seems that Maggie and Aria have an understanding of keeping each other’s secret. I can’t blame Maggie for not wanting to tell Ezra the truth in order to protect her son, just like Aria cannot be blamed for wanting to protect Ezra. 

Lastly, let’s visit what was one of our favorite couple of Spencer and Toby. After a much needed reunion between the two; the couple got hot and steamy right after. When all is zipped up, Toby tells Spencer he is “exactly where he needs to be” and his decision to leave had nothing to do with her. After a brief exchange of “I love you’s” Spence gets fired up to bring “A” down while in the end it is revealed Toby is the second “A”! Maybe some of you saw it coming since Toby is a bit creepy to begin with, but I never saw Mona and Toby working together. At least we know who Mona was finally talking to on the phone, and can I say it sucks for Spencer to lose her virginity ( I think that was her first) time to a killer. The only upside to this is that it is not one of her sister’s ex’s. 

So ends the anticipated finale and now there is nothing to look forward to on Tuesday’s (yes I am that pathetic). All I can say is that there is some much needed answers such as why did Garrett give that creepy smile towards the end? He is definitely guilty of something. Is Melissa another “A,” or Noel, Lucas? What is up with Ali’s friend CeCe, will Spencer find out about Toby, will Ezra find out about his child, will Aria’s mom marry the new guy? The questions and possibilities are endless. Hopefully more will be revealed during the Halloween episode on October 23rd. Until then my Pretty Little Liar friends, be careful of your own “A”s and remember secrets can be deadly. 

Image Source: http://hookedonhouses.net/

Samantha Saenz is a senior at Pitt. She is a Communication Science and Disorders major with a theatre minor. Sam loves movies and great TV shows and will probably write about it at least 90% of the time. She is in Pitt Ballet Club and has enjoyed her time with the girls from HerCampus Pitt.
Claire is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh, double majoring in Nonfiction English Writing and Communication Rhetoric. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for HC Pitt and has held internships at Redbook Magazine and Verve Social Magazine. Claire is from Berkeley Heights, New Jersey, not too far from New York City. Her interests include fashion, writing, traveling (she spent a semester abroad in Australia!), and spending time with friends and family. Claire aspires to obtain a career working for a fashion magazine in New York City after she graduates.