Presenting Dr. John Gareis, a Pitt Communications Professor & Man of Many Talents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Doctor John Gareis, one of Pitt’s proud alumni, gives us the 411 on heading the Communication department and his love of the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Gareis grew up in Western, PA, and received his undergraduate degree from the neighboring Clarion State University and his Masters from Lancaster Seminary.
Gareis has taught at the Pitt since 1988 working his way to the becoming the Director of Undergraduate Advising for the Communication Program at Pitt. He also teaches many communication classes as well and even co-wrote a communication textbook.  In addition to his teaching career, he directs plays at a nearby school. As you can see, he is a man of many talents.

Why do you enjoy teaching at Pitt?
 I like the students that attend and as a Western, PA native, I feel a connection to the students who go to Pitt from the area.

Why do you think communications is important?
I can’t think of any occupation that doesn’t require communication.

What is the most interesting/crazy thing you’ve ever done?
(Laughing) I can’t think of anything, I guess I’m not that interesting. Hmm, I did go climbing at the Water Dunn Rivers.

What are some of your hobbies?
Reading and swimming.
*He is also directing a play at Red Bank High School called “Murder at the Orient Express” and directed “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” last year.

If you could give advice to undergraduates considering the communication field, what would it be?
Take as many internships as you can, it’s an experience beyond the classroom. Also, take advantage of all classes you want and study abroad – opportunities don’t come around again.

Mandy is an English and Communication dual major at the University of Pittsburgh. She plans on graduating this April, but decided that she'd finish her last three classes online and move to the big apple for an editorial internship at Ladies' Home Journal. She is a proud Her Campus Pitt member from afar and the previous Editor-in-Chief. When she isn't exploring the city, she enjoys absorbing every TLC show, following news leads on Twitter, or blogging for her Small Girl in NYC Wordpress. She's orginally from Philadelphia and will always have a cheesesteak over a salad. Her previous internships include Entertainment intern for VERVE Management Social Magazine and the editorial/fashion intern for WHIRL Magazine. Magazines are her obsession, but writing is her passion. Follow her on twitter @mandy_velez or send love to her at mandyvelez16 [at] gmail [dot] com. 
Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.