ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Pitt Student’s Semester Bucket List: 10 Things You Should Do this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

One of the purposes of being in college is to gain new experiences. While binge watching a new series on Netflix or hanging out with your cat all day can be a nice break from studying, the beauty of being in college is that there are so many new things to try. Whether you are new to Pitt or in your final year, there are plenty of opportunities you should take advantage of this fall semester. If you need some inspiration for different activities to try, here’s a bucket list of places to visit and things to do on campus. 

(Photo by unknown via Phipps Conservatory)

1. Go to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens

Phipps is a botanical garden with beautiful flowers and plants you can gaze at all around the conservatory. This is a very fun way to spend an afternoon or evening with friends. Phipps hosts numerous exhibits throughout the year. This fall, there will be events including ‘Van Go in Bloom,’ ‘Science Engagement Week’ and the ‘Tropical Forest Cuba Festival.’

2. Visit a museum

There are many awesome museums to visit around campus. What’s even better is you can visit these museums for free with your Pitt student ID! You can check out beautiful collections of artifacts and science at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, or if you’re a big fan of Andy Warhol, you can also visit the Andy Warhol Museum in North Shore. 

(Photo by Haizhan Zheng via tripsavvy)

3. Look at the beautiful scenery from the Mt. Washington overlook

Head over to the Duquesne Incline to get an amazing view of Pittsburgh. This is a super fun activity where you can take great photos of one of the most beautiful views of the city.

(Photo by unknown via Visit Pittsburgh)

4. Go kayaking by North Shore

If you want something more unique and active, kayaking is another great experience to have here in Pittsburgh. You can rent kayaks at Kayak Pittsburgh in North Shore and explore the three rivers near Point State Park.

5. Go to local sports games

With the fall semester comes football season! What better way to show your school spirit by being part of the Panther Pitt and supporting our Pitt football team! You can also catch a Steelers game at Heinz Field or a Pirates game at PNC Park.

6. Run a 5k

If you want to get to know the city more while getting a good workout in, Pittsburgh Running Tours has multiple 5k running tours in Downtown throughout the year. 

7. Rush a sorority

If Greek life interests you, definitely consider rushing a sorority. This can be a great opportunity to meet new people and make more friends, especially if you’re new to campus.

8. Study abroad

If you’re able to, consider applying to study abroad! Pitt offers numerous programs that can suit your major(s), minor(s), and/or other interests. Traveling outside the US is an extraordinary way to learn about a new culture, and it can be a lot more fun to do so with your peers while taking classes in a different country.

9. Visit a friend at their university

If you have some free time during a weekend, visit a friend on a different college campus. This can be so much fun as you get to learn the similarities and differences between Pitt’s campus and other colleges.

10. Volunteer

What better way to give back to our community than to reach out to those in need. From volunteering at one of the UPMC hospitals, or even participating in Pitt’s annual PMADD event in October, there are numerous opportunities around Pittsburgh to volunteer.

Briana is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Neuroscience and minoring in Spanish. Her goal is to also receive a Public and Professional Writing certificate. When she isn’t writing for HC or studying, she is either reading a good book, going for a run, or jamming to music!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt