Non-Revealing Alternatives for Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Halloween is by far the best holiday for a collegiate- you get the opportunity to be someone else for a day! Unfortunately, we all know the stigma of Halloween for girls… Mean Girls has made that very clear. But it doesn’t have to be that way! You can still have fun on Halloween without having to put everything on display. Whether you want to be sexy, funny, or creative, the options are endless. But if you need help brainstorming, here is a place for you to start. Plus, all costumes shown in this article are about $50 (US) or less!

Funny Costumes:

Peanut Butter and Jelly– For this you’ll need a willing companion and a whole lot of humor. Take it up a notch by carrying around a jar of peanut butter. I’d recommend the black leggings and top to stay warm during a successful night out.

Housewife– Take on that old stereotype and make it your own with an enormous foam wig from Target. This is perfect for the DIY queen. The rest of the costume is completely up to you, but I’d recommend a fluffy robe and your favorite slippers.

Lobster– Target also offers this amazing foam lobster hat and claws. You can wear a red long sleeve shirt and pants, or go all out and create a tail from craft store felt, pipe cleaners and a glue gun.

Adventure Time’s Fionna– If you’re a fan of the show, this is perfect to bring out that hilarious quality throughout your evening.

Sexy (without being too revealing) Costumes:

Steampunk Renegade– Personally, I love the steampunk look, but all of the girls always have the smallest outfits. This is a good way to include that style! It stays sexy with a peekaboo of the bustline and a leg slit, but doesn’t give you that overly-revealing feel.

Maleficent– Bring back that Disney magic with a healthy dose of that Angelina Jolie sex appeal.

Medusa– Who says turning men into stone is a bad thing? Take sexy to a scary level with this Grecian mythological classic.

High School Zombie– Now I realize the skirt is pretty short on this one, but you can always go for full opaque white tights as opposed to the thigh-highs.

Crayola Dress- So I’m sure you’ve seen the Crayola dress before, but what I liked about this one was the addition of a boat neck collar to provide a little more cleavage covering, and a cute skirt! Again, this dress looks fine with opaque tights if the skirt length is too short.

Pop Culture References:

Nicki Minaj– Nicki has so many different looks, you can really run to the winds with this one. I chose this outfit because it was one of the more outrageous looks available for her unique style. You can also go classy with this one and wear one of her more demure red carpet looks.

Lady Gaga– Because of her many famous appearances, Lady Gaga is a perfect option for a collegiate looking to stand out. I chose the dress because it is compatible with opaque tights, and the suit for the comfort.

Orange is the New Black– Go as your favorite felon! The beauty in this is the variety of characters you can create with accessories. Whether you want to be a fierce Red or misunderstood but loved Crazy Eyes, you can achieve the look with a little elbow grease and imagination.

A lot of these looks are merely the beginning. Don’t be afraid to make them your own! Go crazy with wigs and makeup and accessories galore. DIY some accessories if the budget is tight (which we all know it is). Halloween is a great opportunity to try looks you would never normally wear on the daily, so have fun with it!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt