This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I LOVE A24. During my rise to become an official movie buff (self-declared), A24 became my safe haven, somewhere I could rely on to have an incredible bank of movies, and to be making even more incredible ones. So, while I still haven’t seen every film in A24’s discography (I’m working on it though!), I do have quite a few thoughts on many of their films. So, without further ado, here’s my top ten A24 films. 

eX mACHINA (2014)

This was a very recent watch for me, and one of A24’s earliest films, but it’s absolutely incredible. This film, directed by Alex Garland and starring Domhnall Gleeson, Alicia Vikander and Oscar Isaac, tells the story of a remote island, a reclusive tech engineer and a female AI. The cinematography in this film is incredible, and the ways that tension is built in such a small space makes this film truly remarkable. Also I love Domhnall Gleeson, I think he’s an absolutely incredible actor and everyone should be talking about him more. 

hereditary (2018)

Ari Aster’s first A24 film, Hereditary is eerie and will have you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. This film stars Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne, Alex Wolff and Milly Shapiro. I was a big fan of Toni Collette before watching this film, but after seeing it I will literally watch any movie she’s in, she’s just that amazing in this film. 

eighth grade (2018)

Bo Burnham’s directorial debut, starring Elsie Fisher, is about 13-year-old Kayla’s disastrous last week of eighth grade. I have never, in my entire 19 years of life, ever seen a film that so perfectly encapsulates the middle school experience. From the awkward encounters, the general cringiness and the aches of growing up this film FEELS like eighth grade all over again. It’s a truly remarkable feat.

Bodies bodies bodies (2022)

This horror-comedy directed by Halina Reijn and starring an ensemble cast featuring Amandala Stenberg, Maria Bakalova, Rachel Sennott, Chase Sui Wonders, Myha’la Herrold, Pete Davidson and Lee Pace is literally to die for. It’s about a group of 20 somethings playing the game “bodies, bodies, bodies” and it all going totally and completely wrong. I absolutely adore this film; it was one of my favorite 2022 releases. The screenplay is fantastic and nails the humor needed for this film to work perfectly. Also, I adore Rachel Sennott and she’s absolutely hilarious in this. 

midsommar (2019)

Probably the most disturbing film I’ve ever seen, this film isn’t for the faint of heart. Ari Aster’s second A24 film, this time starring Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, William Jackson Harper, Will Poulter, Vilhelm Blomgren and Isabelle Grill, is about several friends traveling to Sweden for a Midsommar festival and the nightmare that ensues. This film features the best use of daylight horror I’ve ever seen, a show stopping performance from Florence Pugh, a bone-chilling undercurrent of suspense and terror, an incredible use of foreshadowing and mind twisting. But please be aware this film features very graphic violence as well as suicide and self-harm.

the florida project (2017)

Directed by Sean Baker and starring Brooklyn Prince, Willem Dafoe, Bria Vinaite, Valeria Cotto and Christopher Rivera this film tells the story of a 6 year old girl, her group of friends and their sense of adventure even as the adults around them are struggling. This film is incredibly raw, the characters all feel like they are real, living existing people in the world; it takes an intense look at poverty, childhood wonder and all of the pain and sharp edges that comes with growing up. The color palette of this film, as well as the performances of every single one of the actors is absolutely show stopping. 

moonlight (2016)

The film that famously won Best Picture over La La Land but was announced incorrectly is one of A24’s best films. Directed by Barry Jenkins and starring Trevante Rhodes, Andre Holland, Janelle Monae, Ashton Sanders, Jharrel Jerome, Alex Hibbert, Jaden Piner, Naomie Harris and Mahershala Ali this film focuses on a young, gay, Black man at three different points in his life. This film is deeply moving, speaking to the Black experience, the power of connection and the ways people find their ways back to each other, and what it means to come into your own. I truly cannot recommend this film enough, and on top of it all the cinematography and the color palette of this film are absolutely breathtaking. 

everything everywhere all at once (2022)

Believe the hype–this film is truly as incredible as everyone says it is. Directed by The Daniels and starring Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, Stephanie Hsu, James Hong and Jamie Lee Curtis this film is bursting with talent, heart and creativity. I remember walking out of the theater and telling my friend that this film felt like one of the most original things I’d watched in a long time, while also having a sense of familiarity and comfort. This film is wild, wacky and wonderful, and I cannot recommend it enough.  

aftersun (2022)

The second I finished this film I updated my favorite films on Letterboxd, that’s how quickly I fell in love with it. The film is Charlotte Wells’ directing debut and stars Paul Mescal and Frankie Corio, with the film telling the story of a woman looking back on a vacation she took with her father as a child. I love this film so much, some of the shot compositions are my favorites of all time, the performances are incredible and unforgettable, the script will break your heart and the final sequence is something I’m still reeling from. I could talk about this film for hours on end, in such a short amount of time it’s come to hold a very special place in my heart.

lady bird (2017)

If you ask me what my favorite movie is you’ll get one of two answers – Lady Bird or Little Women (2019), in other words Greta Gerwig is my hero. From the moment I first watched Lady Bird I knew this was my film, it resonated with me in a way I’d never experienced before, and I was head over heels in love with it. So in love with it in fact, that I would write my college essay on it, and never shut up about it, and probably bring it up at least once a day in conversation. I love this film with everything in me, and I think it’s a must watch for everyone ever. 

Lauren Deaton is a second-year student at the University of Pittsburgh, she is currently serving both as Chapter Chair and Writer. She most frequently writes about entertainment topics– including music recommendations, topics of representation, and anticipated movie lists. Lauren is double majoring in English Literature and Media and Professional Communications with a focus on Public and Professional Writing. She is also pursuing a Film and Media Studies minor and is a member of the Honors College. She recently completed a communications internship with the Fletcher Free Library and will be beginning a research position with the Language and Literacy Division at Pitt during the Fall 2023 semester. In the future, she hopes to work in publishing helping to increase access to representation. She is also a writer for Studio 412 a creative outlet on Pitt’s campus and is a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority. Lauren loves her dog, her friends, her family, and everything reading, coming of age and cold brew related.