jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Movies and Television Shows that Mean Something to HC Pitt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Many people might not like to admit it, but television and movies are important to us. They become a part of our life, whether it be because you grew up watching them or because they have been on for years and have taught you something about life. I compiled a list of some movies and television shows that, over the years, have meant something to the women of Her Campus Pitt.

High School Musical

These movies started ten years ago this year, which may come as a shock to some. I, myself, remember sitting in my living room, freaking out when the Disney Channel Original Movie intro started. Not only did this movie introduce Zac Efron, but it also made most of us imagine that, in high school, you often break out into song – which, I hate to break it to you, does not actually happen.

SpongeBob Squarepants

SpongeBob has, at some point, gotten you through childhood. It has been on Nickelodeon for nine seasons now and is still comedy gold. SpongeBob and Patrick are a great example of best friends, although usually one friend is supposed to stop the other from doing something stupid and, in their case, they encourage each other, which makes the show funny. “Ripped Pants” is a classic and will never be forgotten.

Sabrina, the Teenage Witch

Now, Sabrina was not only a movie but both an animated and real life television show. Sabrina made every girl wish she was a witch so that she could change her outfit with a point of her finger. Also, let us not forget about all the hunky men surrounding her. Team Harvey all the way.

That’s So Raven

Come on – who doesn’t love a show about a teenage girl that can see into the future and speaks her mind. This show not only had comedy – that future stare was hysterical – but it also focused on real issues such as body image and race. Also, SQUAD GOALS!

Lizzie McGuire

Lizzie McGuire was all about surviving becoming a teenager. This show was not only focused on school and popularity but also on Lizzie’s home life and living with her little brother. You had to love the comments Lizzie’s subconscious made and the fact that her subconscious was an animated Lizzie. After the television show was the movie, which made the song “Dreams are Made of” forever stuck in your head.

A Cinderella Story

Staying with our friend Hillary Duff, “A Cinderella Story” has to be one of her best roles. I mean, who doesn’t love a modern day twist on a classic fairy tale, and you can’t forget the fact the Chad Michael Murray had the lead role as Austin Ames, our Prince Charming.

Princess Diaries

On to another princess, Anne Hathaway brought the character of Mia to life in Princess Diaries, a story about a girl who finds out she’s a princess. Not only does she go from commoner to royalty but from an “ugly duckling into swan” – Paolo’s words, not mine. In this movie Mia must decide whether she wants to keep her crown or stay in her smock.

She’s the Man

Another transformation but one even more shocking is Amanda Bynes in “She’s the Man.” Viola takes on her brother’s identity to prove that girls can play soccer as well, if not better, than guys, and she meets some big bumps along the way: her ex-boyfriend, her brother’s ex-girlfriend, falling for her male roommate, and more.  If you are looking for a comedy, watch this.

Rugrats

This one is going back some years. Imagine being a baby and playing with your friends every day. The best part is being able to understand one another. Add in Angelica and something is bound to happen. The situations that these babies got themselves into astounded me. I wish I was that fearless as a baby.

13 Going on 30

This movie is about what every kid wants, which is to grow up. On Jenna’s 13th birthday, all she wishes for is to grow up, but one should be careful what they wish for. The next day Jenna is all grown up, going from thirteen to thirty, and she now has to figure out how to be an adult. A great comedy about growing up before you’re ready. By the way, the elevator scene is hysterical; if you have watched the movie, you understand, and if you haven’t then WATCH THE MOVIE!

Charmed

Three sisters who are witches – what could be better. Oh yeah: they are badass and fight demons. The show started with Prue, Piper, and Phoebe. In season three, Prue dies, which leads to Paige’s introduction. Paige is a long lost sister and she then completes the power of three. This show has everything: supernatural creatures, beautiful women, attractive guys, fighting, comedy. A show for all audiences.

One Tree Hill

For most of us, this show didn’t really get us through childhood – it got us through our teenage years. The drama on this show made us happy with our own lives: there were two long-lost brothers, cheating, stealing girlfriends, competition, murder, etc. That being said, some of the relationships made me want what they had.

Twilight Saga

So, many of us might not like to admit this, but we liked Twilight. That may actually be too calm of a word: we were obsessed with Twilight. A hot vampire and a gorgeous werewolf both in love with a mortal – fantasy anyone? But seriously, this saga was a big thing. First, there were books, then movies, fan clubs, merchandise… it was crazy. Today, people are embarrassed by how much they liked Twilight, but think about it, Twilight was a phenomenon.

Supernatural

This show has been airing for eleven years. Not many shows can say that. And why wouldn’t this show last for eleven seasons? Two increasingly attractive brothers, who are both badass, fight demons and other supernatural creatures, drive a hot car, and provide the best sarcastic comments ever. It’s kind of like Charmed except the main characters are males.

These are just some of the television shows and movies that meant something to the women of Her Campus Pitt.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14,

Hi everyone, my name is Alex and I am a sophomore English major at Pitt. I love to read and I am obsessed with sports, be it soccer, football, volleyball, etc. I watch it. I am originally from Philly so Eagles fan all the way and before you ask I prefer Geno's over Pat's but Dalessandro's over Geno's. This is my first year writing for her campus and I am excited to see what happens:).
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt