MoNO: What To Do (and Not Do) After Getting that Dreaded Diagnosis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Four weeks ago while shoving my face full of guacamole, I noticed two painful swollen lymph nodes in my neck. Seeing as I felt fine and was too lazy to shlump to student health, I ignored it. Fast-forward two weeks, and I’m home in Buffalo, unable to move, eat, study, or take my LSAT: I got mono.

Mononucleosis, affectionately known as mono, is a highly contagious viral disease that many people at one point or another contract. You may hear it referred to as the “kissing disease” stemming from the fact that mono is transferred by shared saliva: kissing, sharing cups, utensils, etc.

Because it’s a virus, mono needs to naturally run its course—no medication is given to treat it. However, you may be given steroids if throat swelling prevents you from swallowing, and you can take Advil for bodily pain.

My symptoms were terrible. If it’s a mono symptom I had it: high fever, terrible night sweats, fatigue, swollen eyelids, weakness, joint pain, bone pain, a swollen spleen, an inflamed liver, the works. And while I’m feeling 99.2% better already (thank god because my friend has had mono symptoms for a year), here are the dos and don’ts I’ve acquired to help your body fight it faster.

Dos:

• Listen to your body. If something feels wrong, rest and do what you can to alleviate your symptoms.
  • Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. With night sweats and severe throat swelling, it’s really difficult to swallow. However, being hydrated is really important in getting over mono faster.
  • Eat clean. No processed food, junk, soda, coffee, and things of that nature. I ate nothing but soup, vegetables and occasionally some rice.
  • Rest. Even if you don’t necessarily feel tired, don’t overdo it. The symptoms will come back and slap you in the face.
  • Throw out all germ-holders. I.e. the Chap Stick you used leading up to the diagnosis, your toothbrush, etc. While you’re very unlikely to get mono again, don’t harm your already compromised immune system.

Don’ts:

• Don’t force yourself to go to class. If you don’t feel well stay home. I forced myself twice and then couldn’t leave my bed the next day.
  • Don’t forget to let your professors know you may miss a substantial amount of class. I missed two-and-a-half weeks of school. I emailed my professors, sent them all of the assignments I missed. They were all incredibly understanding and accommodating.
  • Don’t exercise. With a swollen spleen you risk rupturing it by being active. I’m no doctor, but you need your spleen.

Photo: 1

Just your average 6'2'' czech girl with nine toes =)
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt