Matt Shuck: The Man Behind the Camera

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you came out to our Cultures Clothing Fashion Show last week and got your picture taken on our red carpet, Matt Shuck was the guy taking your picture. So, as a way to debrief about HerCampus’s first event, I interviewed Matt to give everyone an idea about what it’s like to be on the other side of the camera and what he hopes to do with it in the future.

Her Campus: What’s your year and major?
Matt: I am in my senior year here at Pitt and I am currently majoring in Film Studies and Philosophy.

HC: What was your role in the fashion show?
Matt: My role in the show was, first, to photograph some of the people coming to see the show on a background that was meant to replicate the celebrity red carpet walk that we see pictures from all the time. Second, I shot through the whole show, which included the singers, dance groups, and the fashion show itself. Lastly, I got a shot of each individual model after the show was over, showcasing their items of clothing.

HC: How did you get started in photography?
Matt: I got started in photography accidentally I guess. In one of my film classes we had an assignment where we had to take out a 35mm camera and do a little shooting so we could get a better understanding of how camera film works. Up to this point I had never even owned a point and shoot, so this was really my first experience with anything photography related. I immediately became addicted. After several months of saving up I bought my first DSLR. From there on the addiction just got worse. I found myself constantly buying new equipment, up every night watching tutorials on Youtube, and making tons of contacts with other photographers on sites like Flickr. That was only about a year and a half ago that I got that first DSLR, and things have not slowed down since.

HC: What’s your favorite thing to shoot?
Matt: It is safe to say my favorite thing to shoot is portraiture. At first I had no interest in shooting people, but once I started I fell in love with it. There is just an amazing amount of room for creativity, and it gives me the opportunity to meet a lot of very interesting people.

HC: How would you describe your brand in general?
Matt: Being so new to photography I still haven’t found my niche, and it would be hard to sell myself as having a certain brand or image. I have shot any opportunities that have come my way. I have done plenty of sports, concerts, weddings, communions, product photography, journalism, and just about everything you could think of (except for car photography, which I have really been wanting to get into, I just haven’t had an opportunity to yet). With time though I am hoping to be successful enough to be more selective with what I shoot, and would like to focus more on mainly portrait photography.

HC: What’s your dream job?
Matt: My dream job is to be an A list commercial and fashion photographer. I want to be able to look on the front of a Vogue or Sports Illustrated and see an image I shot. I want to work with bands, athletes, and models and have the coolest job of anyone I know.

Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.