This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

To the gay couple who is shaken about their right to love,

To the Muslim family who is afraid of being hated,

To the women disturbed because of shrewd and degrading speech,

To the young Hispanic girl uncertain of her future,

To the people of color frustrated with the injustices in their community,

To everyone who has rallied for the progress this nation has made and was hopeful for the continuation of positive change –

I am sorry.

The election season has been a tumultuous cycle of highs and lows, and it all culminated last night as millions of Americans were glued to their TV screens. Between endlessly refreshing my browser, listening to reporters’ updates, and trying to sort through a slew of text messages, it was hard to ignore the intense amount of worry cultivating around me and my peers. The moments of watching states fill up with red and blue were weary filled, and the announcement of our new President-elect shook me to my core.

I am saddened that it has come to this – instead of a funny, lighthearted article about experiencing the nerves of waiting for Hillary Clinton to be announced President and being absolved in the moment it became reality, we are now experiencing true agony with our uneasiness of what lays ahead.

As the daughter of immigrants, going to the polls was an exciting and emotional moment for me. I felt incredibly proud of living in a nation where I am entrusted with the duty of casting my vote in order to build this country up. The United States has given me more than I could have imagined – the chance to have an education, basic human rights, and immeasurable opportunities for achieving my goals, as big or small as they may be.

Millions of immigrants make the decision to leave their homes, the comfort they have always known, to move to the U.S because of the potential they see with the simple hope of creating a better life for themselves and their families. I am unbelievably grateful for every opportunity I have been provided, but I am not naïve in acknowledging that not everyone has had the same experience.

President Obama – a vision of level-headed acceptance, generosity, and humility, was the example leading our nation and now will be replaced with a demagogue who stands for everything President Obama was not – racist, manipulative, narcissistic, and narrow-minded, to name a few.

The Electorate conceded to a campaign built on fear, and 59 million Americans followed suit. I can’t decide what is more horrifying – whether a group of educated elected officials were able to be pulled in to his web or that half of the nation was simmering with underlying hate and deeply rooted ignorance.

Almost in perfect tune, as I write this, there are two young men sitting at a table near me whose conversation consisted of dialogue like: “She said she voted for Hillary so I asked her what her tax policy is like. She doesn’t know anything, girls just voted for Hillary because she’s a girl.” to which his friend replied, “Did you vote for her?” and got a response of, “No, f*** that, I didn’t vote.”

I have tried to be tolerant – which of Donald Trump’s proposed policies struck you as imperative developments for our country? Which of his initiatives did you think would improve the quality of life for all of our citizens? How are his comments about Muslims, Hispanics, Blacks, Women, and others, justified? What about him elevates his capability above that of Clinton?

His policies spoke in circles.

His initiatives would set back the social progress that has been worked so hard for.

His comments are disturbing, vile, and fundamentally hateful.

“He’s going to make America great again” did not, does not, and will not suffice as a coherent rationale.

And if you failed to vote – shame on you. Although both candidates were far from the ideal, our civic duty entrusts us to being informed and educating ourselves about the tenets that make up our nation and select a candidate who we believe will value those sentiments. If you threw away this opportunity, it is a disappointment to all – especially those who have never had the chance to share their voice in a way which many take for granted.

The fact of the matter is that Trump has never had the experience of a perspective other than his own – that of an affluent white man. Sure, I may never be able to experience the same oppression faced by POC or the LGBTQ community, but it doesn’t take much consideration to have empathy for those who have, and recognize that it is an injustice in and of itself.  

However, I must say, I am incredibly proud of the overwhelming support for social justice from my generation. This graphic describes how the outcome of the election would have played out if only people age 18 – 25 voted, and I am optimistic about what this means for the future. The fact that intolerance is pushed away from entering the mentality of most people my age is refreshing, and it validates the potential that the future holds for effecting change.

I am disheartened, but I am hopeful. I am hopeful that this harsh reality will not maintain our nation and fear will not win.

Now, we have one another to rely on. Every person who is infuriated – please, channel your anger into building something better. Use this passion to remind you of all the work that must be done. Use your voice to speak for those who have been hushed – for those who have been targeted.

Don’t let this stop you from celebrating our differences.

Highlight people’s strengths, and empower others to live a life where they are unapologetically proud of who they are.

Love and laugh together.

Now, more than ever, be loud. Be relentlessly louder than usual.

Remember, “When they go low, we go high.”

So now, let’s go higher than ever before.

Photos: 1, 2, 3

Casey Schmauder is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a senior at Pitt studying English Nonfiction Writing with a concentration in Public and Professional Writing.