Leonard Nimoy: What You Might Not Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Leonard Nimoy, as we all know, is most famous for his work on the popular television series Star Trek. This show broke barriers in the 60s, with characters of diverse backgrounds from Chinese, Russian and African American descent in a time where African Americans were just barely able to vote and Russians were persona non grata as a result of the Cold War. But beyond his role in Star Trek, Leonard Nimoy was a man before his time in several other fields.

For example, about five years before the now popular “Every body is beautiful” perception started to gain momentum in the media, Nimoy was photographing plus-sized burlesque dancers in all their glory in 2007. But beyond that, the photography is BREATHTAKING—especially that of his Shekhina from 2002 (I highly recommend taking a look at it).

Furthermore, Nimoy personally directed over 10 movies and television shows, two of which were of the Star Trek series in which he starred. Ever heard of The Good Mother? Leonard Nimoy. This film helped propel young Liam Neeson into a long, successful acting career, without which I would have no idea what to say to international kidnappers should they choose to test my special set of skills by stealing my loved ones. Regardless, back to Nimoy.

Even in his acting career, Nimoy took on an ENORMOUS variety of roles for voice overs in video games like Kingdom Hearts, animated films such as Atlantis: the Lost Empire, and made appearances in movies as diverse as Invasion of the Body Snatchers to Brave New World. As an actor, over 130 credits are assigned to his name. The depth of his body of work is hardly matched by other modern actors, even those who have had the privilege of winning Academy Awards. 

What I imagine fans will do when they realize Nimoy is in this film.

Beyond his film related career, Nimoy took part in multiple philanthropies, a series of forays into popular music, and even owned a pet shop in Canoga Park at one point named “Leonard Nimoy’s Pet Pad.” It’s obvious to anyone to see that Leonard Nimoy was more than Mr. Spock. He was a modern day renaissance man. On the day he passed, I firmly believe the world lost a truly talented and inspirational figure. From intergalactic space adventures to redefining beauty, Mr. Nimoy challenged and changed our national culture. I can only hope that others follow in his footsteps to create a brighter, more prosperous tomorrow. 

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt