Kevin Kerr: The Man With the Big Plans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Year: Junior

Degree Course: Political Science and Urban Studies

The first time I met Kevin Kerr was in our International Organized Crime class freshman year. We were two out of the three freshmen in a class of upperclassman and graduate students, and we were paired for a peer review assignment. When I got his comments back on a paper that I had slaved over for weeks, I knew he’d be someone to look out for. He basically tore the organization of my paper to shreds, and still managed to make me feel good about all the research and hard work that I had done. With his help, I was able to score one of the highest grades in the class, no doubt, right alongside him. I knew that this kid would be someone to watch out for during my years at Pitt. He’s the type of person that draws people in and really makes you feel like he actually cares about what you are saying. I know from past experiences with Kevin, that if he says he’s going to do something, he has every intention of doing it. Maybe that’s why if he ever ran for President, I’d vote for him in a second, as well as slither my way into his cabinet. He’s kind, caring, and one of the most dedicated people that I have ever met. After hearing him speak about a ton of changes that he wants to see in the world (and how he’s going to make it happen), its hard not to be inspired by this guy, which is why he more than deserves the title of Campus Celebrity this week.

It’s your first time being featured in an HC article, how does it feel?

Honored, I think HC does a great job providing a different journalistic approach in regards to college life. I like that HC isn’t afraid to take on issues that most news outlets wouldn’t.

What made you come to Pitt?

I was born and bred a Notre Dame fan and I had never planned on coming here, but then in high school I started to hear great stories of Pitt, like how prestigious it was becoming and how strong the pride was. When I visited I took a tour with a Pathfinder, and I remember it not being at all what I expected it to be and I loved it. Even though I was in the city it still felt like a place I could call home.

What organizations are you a member of?

I was recently elected President of Pathfinders, I was the president of Lamba Sigma Honors Society, I am the New Voters Project Coordinator for PennPirg, and I’ve been involved with a few committees within SGB. Now, I’m also on the executive board of Students Consulting for Non-Profits Organizations.

What are your motivations in life?

I know it sounds corny, but I want people to realize how great life truly is. And I want people to understand how much of a difference they can make, even if it’s in the smallest capacity. Even if that’s organizing an entire charity benefit concert, or telling a stupid joke to a family on a tour, I really want people to realize how easy it is to do something amazing everyday.

What’s one thing you wish our generation would do more/get more involved with?

I wish people would explore more. I wish people weren’t always glued to technology and were okay with the idea of turning their phones off and taking a hike for a couple of hours. I want my peers to realize how many amazing things there are to see in the world.

What’s your all time favorite Pitt memory?

Whoa that’s hard! I’ve got like 50 things going through my head right now. I’ve got to say my entire freshman year. Throughout that year, I made a new best friend every week and each person was so different than the last. I met people who loved the same music that I did, people who wanted to go on adventures with me, and some of my best friends to this day. I think the entire experience of throwing yourself into something completely new was by far the best experience that I’ve had at Pitt.

What legacy would you like to leave behind?

I would like people to know that I did everything I could to make their day better. When I leave, I want people to say “I remember Kevin. He told me this joke, or helped me study for this test.” I want people to remember that I never took our interactions for granted.

There’s a quote that says, “Your children will become who you are; so be who you want them to be,” do you agree with that? And what efforts have you made to be the person that you want to be?

I absolutely agree with that. One thing that has stood out in my college career is that I’ve always pushed myself beyond the point where I think it’d be normal to slow down or take a break. Anytime I’ve questioned the fact that I’ve been running off of 3 cups of coffee and 5 hours of sleep, I remember I’m taking every opportunity given to me and not wasting my time at Pitt. For me it’s realizing that I’m never wasting my time, that makes me so proud of what I’ve accomplished and so encouraged to continue working towards my goals in the future.

What are your plans after graduation?

I will probably go to graduate school, and stay in Pittsburgh, and potentially pursue a Masters in Public Administration. Then, either to get into governmental relations or directly involved in politics.

If you could have any job in the world, what would it be and why?

Some day it might be cool to be president of the United States, but I also would be very happy in some form of governmental relations. With my experiences in government and politics the most rewarding thing has been to help restore people’s faith in government and in America. I think being able to reach out to people and show them the places where the government can help and serve it’s citizens, is really rewarding because it shows them that elected officials aren’t always against them.

Random question: What was your most embarrassing moment so far at Pitt?

I’m a big fisherman, so when I asked out Jenna (my girlfriend), I attached a sticky note to a fishing pool from another room, then cast it out, asking her, “Will you be my girlfriend” and she wrote back “absolutely not!” Ha-ha! Then I said aloud, “I got the wrong fish” and cast it back. Thankfully, she said yes that time. I pretty much embarrass myself every single day, but that’s one of the things I’m most proud of.

I'm a current Junior at the University of Pittsburgh, majoring in Political Science and minoring in Spanish language! I was born and raised in Philadelphia and I am a huge city kid! I'm very open about most things in my life; Sex, drinking, partying, friendships, etc. (you name it). I'm a firm believer of loving and knowing yourself before allowing others to make those decisions for you. If you don't love yourself or know who you are, then others never will!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt