Kevin Dolan ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Staying in shape while in college isn’t easy. Between the grilled cheeses served at Market, the late night partying that zaps you of any and all energy, and the dreadful hill we have to climb to get to the Pete, it’s definitely a challenge. But some students have managed to avoid these stereotypical Pitt-falls and keep healthy and fit no matter how many pieces of Sorrento’s pizza come their way.

Kevin Dolan, a senior studying Mechanical Engineering, is definitely among them. As acting President and Business Manager of the Pitt Triathlon Team, Dolan has been competing in some pretty rigorously physical races, which include running, cycling and swimming, since freshman year. The club was started in 2009 so that tri-athletes from Pitt could race in collegiate events across the country.

HC: Firstly, where are you from?
Dolan: Newtown, PA.

Her Campus (HC): What made you join the Triathlon team at Pitt?
Dolan: I swam and ran competitively for a number of years before college and wanted to continue doing it once I got here.

HC: What kind of training goes into being a tri-athlete?
Dolan: The best way to train is to train like you race. I try to get in multiple workouts a day, like swimming, biking, running, lifting and core. We also train as a team about three times a week. It’s intense, but definitely worth it.

HC: Sounds like it. What’s the best part about being on the team?
Dolan: The network of athletes is a lot of fun. I get to meet a lot of people from not only Pitt, but Pittsburgh in general, and other schools who all have similar goals and mindsets. Being a leader on the team is great too, because I get to be involved with developing younger athletes who are new to the sport.

HC: Did you participate in any races this summer?
Dolan: I competed in four races, and won two of them (an Olympic Distance race in Virginia in April, and the Sprint at the New Jersey State Triathlon in July).

HC: Wow, that must’ve been exciting!
Dolan: Yeah the Virginia Olympic was for sure. I was battling for the top spot against a 29 year-old former marine from Daytona Beach, FL. I had the fastest swim and run times and the second fastest bike. He was just the opposite, so we were right with each other until I pulled ahead on the run and never looked back. That made for a really great race.

HC: Finally, if someone wanted to join, how would they get involved?
Dolan: Easy. All they have to do is join the Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/75538299003/), or send us an e-mail (pitt.triathlon@gmail.com).

Quinn is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh pursuing a dual major in communications and journalism. An avid reader of Seventeen, Cosmopolitan and Glamour, she knew she had to get out of her small, po-dunk town in Pennsylvania, and follow her dream of a career in magazines. Quinn writes for her college paper, The Pitt News, as well as Her Campus and is an editorial intern at Maniac Magazine. She loves photography, karaoke, ballet flats, London (where she studied abroad this past summer), and anything pink and sparkly. She hopes to be Carrie-Bradshawing it up in New York City one day soon.