This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

This week I was inspired by a quote I came across on Pinterest by Ralph Waldo Emerson about our actions. Every day we say things like, “I’ll see you later,” “I’ll call you next week” or “I’ll come visit you soon,” but I think we need to realize that words are empty without actions to fill them.

Many people are worried about being nice and pleasing everyone. We tell our friends, family, and acquaintances that we will do something or be somewhere, and we make promises that we don’t intend to keep. When it comes to fulfilling the promises we make, sometimes we find excuses.

Not only will you be happier if you commit to things you know you will do, but the people around you will give you more respect and trust. These are not always easy things to come by, and once they are lost, they cannot always be regained.

Many people have heard the quote by Jim Rohn, “If you really want to do something you will find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.” In my opinion, this could not be more true. So why don’t we commit to things we actually want to do on a regular basis in order be happier and fulfill our responsibilities?

You will be happier and the people around you will be happier when you do what you say you are going to do.

Let’s not forget that actions being louder than words doesn’t just mean that we should commit to things that we actually want to do. It also means that when there are times that we don’t want to do something but have pledged ourselves to do it, we should follow through. More than that, our actions define us when no one is watching. Don’t be a bystander- when something is happening that isn’t right, step up and say something. Sometimes it’s good to step back and ask yourself, what do my actions say about myself?

Be happy. Do what’s right.

Love, Kat

Image Credit: 1

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt