Join the Students of Parkland, Florida for the March For Our Lives on March 24th

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

In the wake of the recent shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas in Parkland, Florida, 17 innocent people lost their lives and an entire community is shattered. However, the students of Stoneman Douglas have not been silent. They have raised their voices across the media, advocating that our government do something to stop the endless mass shootings. As a result, they have organized the March For Our Lives on March 24th. On this day, students and families will march in Washington, DC and across the country to speak out against the lack of action our government has taken to prevent these tragedies.

Their website states “school safety is not a political issue.” They’re calling on congress to work together — Republicans and Democrats — to rapidly create an effective bill that addresses the gun problems in our country. They say that special interest groups and political agendas are not nearly as important as human lives.

Their mission statement reads: “Not one more. We cannot allow one more child to be shot at school. We cannot allow one more teacher to make a choice to jump in front of a firing assault rifle to save the lives of students. We cannot allow one more family to wait for a call or text that never comes. Our schools are unsafe. Our children and teachers are dying. We must make it our top priority to save these lives.”

According to ABC News, the students are calling for a ban on assault riffles and common-sense regulations such as background checks, strengthening mental health care and preventing those who have a history of crime from obtaining a gun. The point of this march is to “create a new normal where there’s a badge of shame on any politician who’s accepting money from the NRA,” said 11th grader, Cameron Kasky.

Kasky also emphasized: “This isn’t about the GOP. This isn’t about the Democrats. This is about the adults. We feel neglected, and at this point, you’re either with us or against us.”

ABC also interviewed students Emma Gonzalez, David Hogg, Alex Wind and Jaclyn Corin. Emma Gonzalez, who gave a powerful speech calling out politicians at a gun control rally, stated that the student activists wish to meet with President Donald Trump, Senator Marco Rubio and Governor Rick Scott to discuss gun control.

The organizers of the march encourage students who are just like them to participate because this can happen to any student across America.

Photo Credits: 1, 2

Kelly is the President/ Campus Correspondent at HC Pitt. She is a senior double majoring in English writing and communication rhetoric while pursuing a certificate in digital media. Writing has always been a passion of hers, and she hopes to work in book publishing and a best-selling author one day. She works as a tutor at Pitt's Writing Center and an intern at Creative Media Agency Inc. In her free time, she works on her novel, reads stacks of books and explores Pittsburgh with her friends.