This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

On August 22, “If I Stay”, an adaption of the novel written by Gayle Forman, premiered in theatres and began capturing hearts everywhere.

Seventeen-year-old Mia Hall (Chloe Grace Mortez) is an aspiring cellist with dreams of attending Julliard with her heart set on rocker Adam (Jamie Blackley).  Mia’s parents (Mireille Enos and Joshua Leonard), former punk rockers themselves, raised Mia and her brother, Teddy, in an unconventional way.  Nonetheless, the family was incredibly close.

On a snowy day, Mia’s family takes a drive together and gets in a head-on collision with another car.  In a matter of seconds, Mia’s whole life has changed, leaving her in a coma and her family’s lives on the line.  Throughout the movie, Mia has an out-of-body experience, following herself and her family through flashbacks and the present.

For fans of The Fault in Our Stars, this film provides another touching love story perched on the heels of death. Mia’s flashbacks tell of her love story with Adam, and despite their differences, show that they are truly meant to be.  As Mia fights to stay alive throughout the film, Adam continues to show his love for her. 

The connection of love and music made this movie amazing.  Although Mia and Adam express themselves in different ways, their relationship only grows through their mutual love of music.  Also, Mia’s parents’ sacrifices to help her achieve her dreams make this movie even more touching.

Whether Mia chooses to stay or not—well, see the movie yourself to find out.  If you love a great love story, music, family, or just an overall good movie, you definitely won’t be disappointed.  (Also, Jamie Blackley provides some pretty great eye-candy.)

Image credit: 1

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt