This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

How do you judge a coffee shop? On its prices? Atmosphere? The coffee itself? How can you compare two cups of coffee when they’re different roasts? As a coffee lover and barista of many years, I know a good cup of coffee when I taste one. After moving to Pittsburgh for college, I made it my personal mission to discover the best coffee shop on campus.

Back to my original question: How do you judge a coffee shop? I chose to try the same drink at all places on this list: a vanilla latte. The vanilla latte is a test on the espresso and flavoring of each shop. Do I need to pay for an extra shot to even taste the espresso? Is the latte too sweet with the vanilla? With all of this in mind, I set off on my journey.

Saxby’s 

There are a few Saxby’s locations on Pitt’s campus, but I went to the one in the Hillman library. The vanilla was not too sweet, there was a perfect amount of espresso, and it was served warm, not steaming hot like at many coffee shops. While the vanilla was sweet, it wasn’t sweet enough to take away from the espresso. Saxby’s is a great place to stop by if you want to procrastinate your studying for just a little longer.

Divvy Coffee and Buns

The latte I got here was damn near the perfect vanilla latte. There was a light layer of foam on top and the amount of vanilla was absolutely perfect. It was sweet but not so sweet that it took away from the espresso. I am drinking it as I am typing, and I keep having to take a break to appreciate how good this latte is.

I also got a bun from there and Oh. My. Gosh. It was almost the size of my head and it was so delicious. I got The Sweet Paris, which had Nutella, strawberries, bananas, almonds, and whipped cream. It was life changing. If you stop at Divvy Coffee and Buns, you have to get a bun.

The Cafe Carnegie (in the museum)

This was a standard vanilla latte. Not too sweet, not too bitter, and the foam stayed afloat the entire time I was drinking it. It was served in a little red mug with a saucer, which I thought was absolutely adorable. Though technically not a coffee you could pick up on the way to a class, this coffee bar is a lovely place to stop in before or after a long day of looking at art. 

Tazza D’oro 

I watched the barista add four pumps of vanilla to the latte, but it was barely even sweet. Although this drink was twelve ounces, it tasted like it had two or three shots of espresso in it. Not bad, just not what I was expecting in a latte. If you’re a latte traditionalist and love when the drink has no additional flavor in it, Tazza D’oro is a good pick. 

Redhawks coffee roasters 

Redhawks is a tiny coffee shop on Meyran Avenue. They served the latte without a lid so that I could see the adorable foam heart on top. This latte had a mild amount of flavor and sweetness and it was served warm instead of hot. The only gripe I have is that their cups are pretty small for the price. A medium was $4.75 and only ten ounces. For context, the Starbucks tall is twelve ounces and $4.45. Though it is a bit annoying, it’s also understandable as Redhawks is a small business.

Campus Coffee and Tea

Located in both the Litchfield Towers and Sutherland lobbies, this university-owned coffee shop is right in the heart of campus. The latte I got here was pretty standard. There was no foam on the top and it was not too sweet. They had a wide variety of pastries to choose from: perfect for a meal swap. This is a good place to stop at for a quick coffee on the way to class!

I intentionally only included standalone stores and very small chains in this list because they are specific to Pitt’s identity. You can get a Pike Place in any city, but you can’t find these stores anywhere else (for the most part). If you’re looking for a chain on campus, there is a Panera, Einstein’s, Dunkin, and a Starbucks on every corner.

Every coffee shop I tried had its ups and downs. My favorite on this list by far has to be Divvy Coffee and Buns. The shop is located on Forbes Avenue and is the perfect place to relax and have the best latte you’ve ever tasted. Divvy has a large dining area compared to the other small shops I tried, perfect for sitting down and writing an article. The prices were average and they had a wide variety of food to fuel your brain while studying.

Pittsburgh has plenty of small businesses that would love your support! This list is a small list specific to only shops on the University of Pittsburgh’s campus, but there are plenty of coffee shops right next door! Though Starbucks may be cheaper or Einstein’s may be closer, I encourage you to venture out and find a new favorite coffee shop!

Kat is a first-year student at the University of Pittsburgh. This is her first year writing for Her Campus, and she is primarily interested in writing about psychology, history, relationships, music, movies, and her own experiences as a freshman in college. She is majoring in secondary education with a focus in English. Her goal for the year is to be a published author on at least three different platforms.