This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving break is over, everyone is turning to the next most important event: finals week. This can be a time of stress and disorganization, so I want to share with you some tips I’ve learned over the years. Let’s first begin with some advice about how to study effectively!

Make a list

This may sound like a no-brainer, but laying out all of your work in one place will make it easier to keep track of what you have to do. Also, once you do complete a task, checking off that box makes you feel super accomplished; it always makes me want to do more! It’s up to you how detailed this list gets. It can simply be a test on Wednesday, research paper due Friday, or you can divide up how you will accomplish this task – what you study, how many words you want to write on each day, etc. For final exams (not papers or projects), I begin by listing out all the topics we discussed in the class and then the materials I’ll use to review (practice problems, reading textbook chapters, past assignments, etc). This allows me to see everything in full detail and check off more items!

Don’t cram

The workload will be so much more manageable if you break up your studying across multiple days. I find it easiest if you do this by topic, which means your brain can focus on one idea at a time instead of hopping around. You can also work backwards in the order of topics taught so you would end with the stuff you probably forgot from the beginning of the semester. The great thing about spreading out your workload is you might actually end up studying more than if you just waited until the day before. But, it feels like less because you’re not doing it all at once.

Time lapse

While I am not a proponent of putting your phone away entirely when studying, there are some ways to combat going on it all the time. Personally, I believe that you should reward yourself after studying an hour with a couple minute phone break, but you just have to know when to stop. If it’s hard to stop scrolling, something you can do is take a time lapse video of yourself studying. Not only can you not touch your phone because it is filming, but you are more likely to study intently because you want to get the longest and most interesting video. I’ve done this a couple times and it always makes me put down my phone.

Choose topics you’re passionate about

This doesn’t fit with everybody’s schedule, but if you have more project-based or written paper finals, try to choose topics that you’re actually interested in. It will make the writing so much easier because the words will just flow out of you and it won’t really feel like work. Don’t choose something just because you think the teacher will like it best or because you think it’s the safest idea. If you have any leeway in a topic, take it, because it truly makes a difference.

While doing work is obviously the priority of finals week, your own health is just as, if not more, important. Not only will it make you less stressed, it will improve your performance because you’ll feel at your best. Here are some reminders as finals week comes closer!

Sleep

I literally cannot stress this enough, but actually going to bed and waking up at a reasonable time will be so beneficial. Pulling an all-nighter may work for some, but for most, it’ll make them less focused during the day and they won’t do their best on the final. Taking some time to pamper yourself at night and get restful sleep is just so important.

Take time for yourself

I know it can be hard to not think of anything else other than your tests and projects during finals week, but you really do still have time for yourself. If you’re going to end up spending one hour scrolling on your phone anyway, instead take that one hour to eat a meal with friends or family. Take that one hour to watch part of your favorite TV show or movie. Take that one hour to do anything other than studying. It will reset your brain and make you more likely to focus/have the energy to continue if you’re energized by things you love.

You can do it! I know this is a stressful time for many, but it will be over before you know it. Even if you don’t end up getting the grade you wanted, know that you put in all the effort you could have, and you should be proud of how much you’ve accomplished. Good luck everyone!

Emma is a first-year student at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a new staff member of the Pitt chapter, and enjoys writing about pop culture, music, tv/movies, and food. She is majoring in Anthropology and currently looking into a minor in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies. She is also a Chancellor's Scholar through the Honors College. Emma is interested in foodways and the cultural artifacts associated with food production, and plans to research cultural food knowledge in a study abroad program. In the past, she was Business Editor-in-Chief of her high school’s yearbook and wants to bring her communication and leadership skills to Her Campus. Emma is also a member of the Anthropology Club and Eat @ Pitt. In her free time, Emma loves to read, play guitar, cook, hang out with friends, and obsess over anything Taylor Swift related.