How To: Rock Floral Pants and Bold Lipstick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Sitting in class the other day, I struck up a conversation with a girl about how much I liked her floral pants. Overhearing our conversation, another girl added, “Oh, I could never pull that off. That’s just not me.” I totally understood what she was saying. I see girls all the time and am envious of their attire, but am always cautious to try something similar. Is it because I don’t know how to wear that specific piece of clothing? Or am I just too nervous of what other people will think? Regardless, it’s time to throw any nervousness out of the window! This year, bold has taken a new turn and it’s definitely here to stay. No longer is it acceptable to stick with what’s ordinary. It’s time to think outside the box, stand out, and just like the clothing would suggest – be bold.

Two of the biggest styles that have stuck around since last summer are floral jeans and bold lipstick. They’re both bold, vibrant, and can make any person stand out. The problem is that a lot of people simply don’t have the guts to try to pull this style off. It’s time to conquer our fears and put our worries aside with a little help from the following tips.

FLORAL PANTS:

• For a casual look, pair it with a loose, neutral toned t-shirt and flats. Pair it with a fedora, like Jenna Dewan-Tatum, or big sunglasses for a more spring/summer look.

• If you’re a more daring person, mixing patterns should definitely be in your stylebook. Pick a similar base color and go from there. Instantly, you’re ready for any occasion, whether running to the store or going to class. A nautical shirt is perfect for a summer look.

• Olivia Palermo rocks these floral pants at London Spring 2012 Fashion Week. To dress the look up, pair it with a neutral blouse and blazer. Like Palermo, match accessories, like a bag or clutch, to accent the pants.

• One last tip: If you’re going with the floral pant look, try to keep the rest of your outfit neutral, including your hair and make-up. The pants will stick out for themselves, so everything else should just compliment it. Search for a pair that fits you well, because this look is not meant for baggy-pant lovers. To pull this outfit in the direction of perfection, pair it with a bold lipstick… 

BOLD LIPSTICK:

• Fair skin tone: Neon pink, or something that is a light peachy coral hue is your best bet. You want to use something that will warm up your tone, so complimenting the lipstick with a light bronzer is the perfect match.

• Medium skin tone: Try extreme vibrance. Orange tones will compliment golden or bronzed skin tones.

• Dark skin tone: An orange shade with red undertones is what’s recommended. Coordinating lip pencil is what will perfect this look.

One last tip: Adding some type of glow, whether it comes from a tinted moisturizer or bronzer, adds a nice contrast to your bold lipstick. And pairing any lipstick with a base coat of lip pencil will ensure that your lips look fabulous all day long. This style looks best when paired with a liquid liner for a nighttime look. For a daytime look, wear a shade of lipstick that contrasts your shirt. It’s scary to mix things that don’t exactly match, but it’s definitely worth a shot! If you’re sticking with a one-shaded outfit, like black, wear an extra bold shade to add that pop of color. Play around with different shades until you find one that is perfect for you.

These two looks can be worn literally anywhere. Whether you’re going to a restaurant or club opening, a full day of classes or fashion week, both of these looks can be styled to perfection to fit your occasion. You can even try pairing them together for a look that would definitely turn heads! This year has been about being bold and putting yourself out there with fashion, so step out of your comfort zone and try something new – you just have to realize that you don’t need a set style. Experimenting with new looks will keep your style fresh and new, and you never know, maybe you’ll be giving this advice to someone in class one day!

Picture Credits:

http://nubry.com/2012/03/12-super-ways-to-wear-floral-jeans/

http://amoristofficiel.com/2013/01/found-kourtney-kardashians-lipstick/

http://wannabemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/363.jpg

http://www.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/0111-jennifer-hudson-red-lipstick_bd.jpg

Hi, I'm Kate! Orginally from northern New Jersey, I'm currently a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in public relations and writing. Writing has always been a passion of mine and writing for Her Campus really let's me engage in something I love to do. I am a huge sports fan, especially for the New York Giants, Yankees, and of course, the Panthers. I am way into fashion and writing about it. I am also obsessed with travelling and one of my goals is to travel around the world and different cities in the states in order to see as many different places I possibly can. So far I've been fortunate enough to immerse myself in the culture of London, Paris, Chicago, Los Angeles, and a tiny island off of South America, Curacao. I really believe that in order to be truly happy, you need to become who you are meant to be and stop being who you think everyone else wants you to be. I'll leave you off with one of my favorite quotes, "Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine." - Lord Byron  
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt