How to Refresh your Makeup Look for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Scarves, riding boots and flannels all signify that fall is officially here. However, there are also makeup trends just as wearable and fabulous for sweater weather! I’m here to tell you the fall trends and products that you need to try out for the eyes, lips and face. They are all great ways to refresh your makeup look for football games, pumpkin patches and haunted houses. (Or maybe no haunted houses, eek!)

Eyes 

Colored Eyeliner Pencil + “Teased Lashes”

Try any eyeliner color other than the blackest black this fall to make your eyes pop on those colder, grayer fall days. Hunter green, charcoal gray, and metallic purple are great options to make any eye color sparkle. Navy is especially great because it brightens the whites of your eyes that is essential after all nighters at Club Hillman.

Pro Tip: Don’t try to apply a perfect line all at once! Go slow and make little lines as close to the lash line as possible, then connect them after! Smudge it out then build it up until you reach your desired intensity.

Try: Loreal Navy Infallible Never Fail Eyeliner

For all the chicas who get mascara on their eyelids, this next makeup trend is for you. Marie Claire recently showed off  “Teased Lashes”.  It’s about a “messy” makeup esthetique. So when you apply your mascara, don’t be a afraid to get a little near the upper and lower lash line; this will actually create a shadow that will make your lashes look thicker.

Try: Maybelline Miss Manga Mascara

Face: 

Tinted Moisturizer + Crème Blush

As the weather cools down, it can suck the moisture right out of your skin. Using a tinted moisturizer or bb cream that has not only coverage but also nourishing and hydrating benefits for the skin is a fantastic option for the fall and winter. For some color, a crème blush in a rosy shade adds a glowing flush to the skin that wakes up the face in seconds.  Using crème products makes the skin look radiant and is also very fast!

Pro Tip: Simply apply a tinted moisturizer with your fingers like a regular moisturizer; just make sure it is well blended. For crème blush, fingers are actually better than brushes as well because the warmth of your hands will blend the product into the skin. Just dab a bit onto the apples of the cheeks and blend upwards.

Try: MAC Lightful Tinted Cream SPF 30 with Radiance Booster

Crème Blush- Maybelline Dream Bouncy in Plum Wine

Lips

Lip Scrub + Plum Lipstick

Tis’ the season for dark fall lips! Before you grab your color of choice and slap it on, we must take some preparatory steps. A dark lip will not look chic and edgy if your lips are dry and flaky. You MUST exfoliate prior to applying a dark lip. You can DIY a lip scrub with just some sugar and olive oil. LUSH makes an amazing lip scrub in some tasty flavors like Mint Julips or even Popcorn! Just scrub the lips for about 20 seconds and the lick it off or wipe away with a washcloth.

Try: Lush Mint Julips Lip Scrub

Now that your lips are smooth and hydrated, pick out a great plum, wine, or the ever daring black lipstick and apply! I would highly recommend starting with a lip liner all over the lip prior to applying the lipstick to ensure crisp edges, intensity and longevity. You can apply straight from the tube or use a lip brush for extra precision.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt