How to Recreate Famous Latin Cuisines at Chipotle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As a Latina, I never go to Chipotle to recreate my abuela’s cooking. However, after working there for several months (and now as an addict), I’ve discovered little ways to make this fast food chain taste like home.

Cuban:

Ask for a burrito bowl with white cilantro lime rice and black beans. This closely resembles frijoles negros y arroz, a staple in Cuban culture. Next, ask for the fajitas (mixed vegetables), which is what would go in any frijoles negros pot. For the meat, while any of them would go, barbacoa tastes a lot like the Cuban dish “ropa vieja,” yes, this means “old clothes,” which is meat cooked so long that it shreds and falls apart. Finally, Cuban food is not as spicy or tangy as other Latin American cuisines, so just a bit of guacamole and you are good to go.

Brazilian:

Brazil, like Cuba, derives most if its influence from Africa as the Europeans took a lot of people as slaves to the West. For this reason, rice is a very important staple and tortilla meals such as burritos or quesadillas rarely are seen in Brazil. This one will also start with a burrito bowl, but with brown rice and pinto beans. Even though in Brazil we would still eat a black bean dish known as “feijoada,” its fattier taste can only really be mirrored by the pinto beans at Chipotle. Next, go with the carne asada (cubed steak) for that strong South American meat flavor. The toppings station’s more Brazilian ingredients will probably be the mild tomatoes, because of South America’s Mediterranean influence, and then a hefty helping of shredded cheese to bring it together. Brazil works a lot with vinegar and lime flavors, so to get that sour taste, squeeze some lemons from the drink station over your food.

Mexican:

Mexico has less African influence and a strong Native culture so their base flavors would be white rice, pinto beans, and chicken. Mexican food typically has a lot of spice and a lot of tomato in its cuisine, so the picante and the mild would be closer to an authentic flavor. Finally, top this bowl with cheese as well. Mexico, like a lot of Latin American countries, might zest their dish with lime, so grab some lemons from the iced tea station!

These are just a few different types of cravings you can satisfy at Chipotle but I’m sure there are many more spinoffs possible with their different options. Enjoy!

Image credit

Hi, I'm Sarita. I am a senior Communications major at the University of Pittsburgh. My writing topic interests include job acquisition, school survival tips, Latin culture, feminism, fashion, nutrition, and current events.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt