This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Spring break might still be a few long months away, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t start planning for a much-needed week of fun in the middle of a grueling semester! Whether you’re staying local or heading abroad, here are some tips to make sure you have your best spring break yet.

Friends First

One of the best things to think about first is who you want to go with! Whether you’re planning a trip with your closest pals, thinking of going with a huge group, or—if you’re feeling super adventurous—taking a solo trip, company will definitely affect where you end up, what you do and total cost. There’s fun to be had whoever you go with. Getting a rough idea of who’s coming gives you a good starting place to figure out everything else.

Money Matters (a lot)

It would be really great—like, seriously—if we all had enough cash to jet off to Seychelles for a week. Maybe you can, but for most of us, a big determining factor is how much a trip will cost. Setting a budget with your friends first will help you narrow down the places you can go. Remember, you can pool your money together for expenses like accommodations and food, which is always one of the great things about traveling with a group of people. Just because you have a tighter budget doesn’t mean you have to stay in the states. Oftentimes, flights are the most expensive part of a trip, and once you get to your vacation spot, a lot of things can be way cheaper than back home!

Style Choices

Everyone wants different things out of their spring breaks; some people want relaxation, some want culture and a lot just want to be intoxicated for the maximum amount of time possible. It’s better to decide what kind of scene you’re going for at the beginning, so you don’t end up in Southern France expecting Miami beach vibes. Different places are perfect for different spring break goals. The great thing about traveling is that there’s always a place that suits your style. Once you’ve decided what you want, it makes the choice on where to go a lot simpler!

Location, Location, Location

Okay, you’ve got friends, you know what you want and you know how much money you’re willing to put down. Now you can get to the fun bit of deciding where you want to head off to! Yes, the typical places like Cancun and Florida are always a safe bet for having loads of fun but bear in mind that these hotspots are going to be crowded with other spring breakers trying to party just as much as you. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t go to them, but there’s also a whole world waiting for you to explore! Looking at the ‘Explore’ tab on kayak.com can give you some really good ideas on cheap flights to locations you might not have considered before. Morocco? Portugal? Colombia? You might discover a really cool place you never thought you’d step foot in. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, but also remember that this is your spring break and you should spend it wherever you think you’ll have the best time.

Logistics

It’s inevitable. Once you know where you’re going—whether it’s a road trip down to Daytona or jetting off to Paris for a week—you’ve got to figure out things like accommodations, best travel methods and travel dates. This stuff can seem boring in comparison to thinking about how you’re going to party once you’re finally there, but sorting it out nice and early will make the actual week of spring break much more stress free. Generally, the earlier you book accommodations the cheaper it will be. Try Airbnb and Hostelworld for some great living spaces that tend to be much more affordable—and unique! —than your standard hotel, resort or motel. Figuring out travel early is a great way to decide if you’re driving, renting a car, using a friends, flying and airport transportation. Make sure you’re prepared to set off without any nasty surprises, and check your passport if you’re heading abroad!

You’re all set!

Spring break is a great time to be with your friends, let go, and forget that you’re only off school for a week. Just remember to stay safe whilst you’re having fun and making memories! Wherever you decide to head off to, hopefully these tips help you make this spring break your best one yet.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt