How To Be Your Own Geek Squad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I am emotionally attached to my computer so admitting something was wrong with it was very difficult for me. I had a midterm the next day with ALL of my notes on my laptop and it was NOT turning on, no matter how hard I prayed. And like every student who thinks “nothing bad will happen to my computer,” I didn’t back up to iCloud, meaning there was no way to retrieve my notes. AT. ALL.

So I was basically screwed in every way when the computer decided to not work with me. Oh, did I mention I had a French paper due at midnight for a quarter of my grade? We all have run into these types of situations, trying to troubleshoot it ourselves, holding the power button and the escape key. But for me nothing worked. It was finally time to turn it into the Apple Geniuses and let them work their magic (I’m highly suspicious that they are in some way wizards.) In the end, I just needed hardware work done (not entirely sure what that means but it cost me nothing so I didn’t mind.)

As I stand at the email kiosk writing this article for the all the people who think nothing bad will happen to their computer, I realize that I could help you. First, BACK UP YOUR FILES ON TO A “CLOUD” OR OUTSIDE MEMORY SOURCE! That was you can get those notes you needed for your midterm or the classic photos of your Grandma at her 86th birthday. Secondly, try and troubleshoot your computer yourself, sometimes it just a simple reboot or a download of a new software kicking in so you may be able to “be your own geek squad.” Here are some simple ways to troubleshoot your laptops.

Macs:
Step 1: Make sure the power adapter is working!!
Step 2: Click your CAPS LOCK button and see if the green light will go on. If not, we have a problem.
Step 3: Try holding the “C” button while holding the power button (to see if your CD Drive has something wrong with it) Not the CD? Move to step 4.
Step 4: Hold the “X” and power button to force reboot the software.
Step 5: Press down the “Shift” key and the power button. (Still not working? Move to step 6.)
Step 6: Call in the professionals!

PCs: (Not going to lie, I have a Mac but I’ll try my best here.)
Step 1: Make sure the power adapter is working (sometimes it is just dead, so obviously your computer battery will not charge.)
Step 2: Try the power button, click on that a few times (it might just need a little wake up).
Step 3: If step 2 wasn’t hitting your fancy aka its still not on, try F1 and power key. According to the Internet, this key is the magic key on all PCs.
Step 4: Call in the professionals!

Finally, if the troubleshooting isn’t working for you, time to take it to the professionals and let them work their magic. If you don’t feel like paying the big bucks just quite yet, try our phenomenal computer service on campus. Call up (412-624-4357) these techies and let them try their hand at it. I wish you all the luck from one emotionally attached computer geek to another (By the way, my baby is OK and I passed my midterm.)

Image Address: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mac&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&…
And
http://www.topdesign72.com/best-dell-laptop-laptops-stunning-images-sele…

I have been a proud Her Campus writer since my freshman year at Pitt and I am now the Social Media Editor for the chapter. So excited to see where the chapter will go but sadly I am a senior graduating in 2015 with a Communication and Art History major and Film Studies minor.
Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.