Grad School Blues: The Pros and Cons of Going to Grad School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Graduate school or no graduate school? That is the question on most seniors’ minds. In our last few semesters, our thoughts should be occupied with finally being able to hit the town with our friends or making a move on the crush we have had since freshman year. Alas, our brains are forced to deal with concerns from our professors about life after college. As if there is such a thing. Nothing makes me cringe more than when someone asks me if I plan to move on and become a grown-up in the real world or head straight to graduate school to become a James Bond in my field. The truth? I have no idea. The ideal choice for most majors is to continue on to graduate school, yet it is not the only option and may not be the best if you are still unsure.

Going To Grad School

Pros:
One of the main reasons college students go on to grad school is because it is a necessity for their profession. These are the crucial years where you learn most of what you need to know to gain experience and become successful. Another awesome opportunity grad school provides is being able to work with the top people in their field and sharing knowledge with others. Cathy Blanco, a Doctoral student at University of Connecticut says, “My Master’s program allowed me to explore all the different options I was able to pursue in my major as well as be guided by the best in my field. My graduate program had given me amazing opportunities I wouldn’t have had been able to discover without it.”
You will be able to truly immerse yourself in what you want to learn without the extra classes you had to take as an undergrad. In the end, you will be a competitive young professional in the job market (get it gurl) and will still get use out of your student ID for food, shopping, and bars!

Cons:
One important reminder of grad school is that it is not College 2.0. It is meant to be tough and challenging in order for you to be able to handle any situation in the field. Say goodbye to sleep and freedom and say hello to stress and unusual hours.
Madeline Kay, a Master’s graduate of University of Connecticut, described herself in grad school as being a one-man band. “I spent most of my days in lab and my nights in class. On top of that, I had to work and find time to finish all these projects. Besides spending time with my lab mates, I hardly remembered what it was like having a social life. Also, you may lose your mind at some points, but that is an occupational hazard.” Another important reminder is that you are a grad student so having no money is a given.

Not Going To Grad School

Pros:
The first best thing is having no exams, homework or intense thesis paper to write. The second best thing about not going to grad school is being able to throw yourself in the world and get your life started. Zoe Holmes, a Pitt alumni, says, “While I thought about attending grad school, it was a relief to me that I am not piling up more debt. As soon as I graduated from college, I was fortunate enough to find a job in a field that I enjoy. I feel as if I am learning just as much and will continue to grow.”

Cons:
Although it is not impossible to find a job right after college, it may be harder given the current economic situation and how many others are looking for jobs after being laid off. Companies may also not want to hire many recent college graduates and want someone who has gotten their Master’s (keep in mind this may not always be the case, a Master’s degree or other advanced degree, does not mean you will definitely get hired). You may also not have a defined set of skills or have less networking opportunities, as you would have if you did get your Master’s degree.

Taking Some Time Off

Pros:
Many students I have encountered have explained to me that if someone is unsure of what their next move should be, a year or two off may help give them some perspective. Lucas Johnston, Pitt alumni now attending UMD for Kinesiology, says, “taking a year off was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It gave me some time to meditate about what I actually wanted. I had a different major as a undergrad and the year off allowed me to come to the realization that it was not meant for me.” The extra time off will also allow you to travel, save up money, refresh your mind, and gain experience. Some schools recommend gaining work or research experience to make graduate school a bit easier in the long run. It also enhances your application.

Cons:
As great as it is to take a refresher in between schooling, students are scared that the time off may diminish their motivation to return. However, there are plenty of 30 and 40 year olds who find their way back to school. The time off may also cause you to forget important knowledge from undergrad that is beneficial and essential in grad school.

Graduate school is a big decision. It is not for everyone and you shouldn’t go just because you feel like you have to, want more money (not necessarily true), or to avoid the job hunt. These are not good enough reasons. Graduate school are for those who enjoy their field and want to learn as much as they can. The best thing to do is think about your goals and what you wish to accomplish. It doesn’t mean you have to map out your whole life (what’s the fun in that?). In the meantime, enjoy your senior year and make the best decision for you. Good luck, and please wish the same for me.  

Samantha Saenz is a senior at Pitt. She is a Communication Science and Disorders major with a theatre minor. Sam loves movies and great TV shows and will probably write about it at least 90% of the time. She is in Pitt Ballet Club and has enjoyed her time with the girls from HerCampus Pitt.
Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.