Five Iconic Eyeliner Styles in Pop Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The starkly black fluid dripping from the minute brush, the possibilities held in your fingers, the satisfaction in opening a new tube—the experience of putting on eyeliner can be magical for some of us; but how do these iconic women use it to express themselves? Here are five eyeliner styles emergent in pop culture on ladies we all know and love.

Lana Del Rey

This gloom-pop queen shot into popularity with her debut song, “Born to Die.” Her fans not only fell desperately in love with her unique music, they were infatuated with her thick winged eyeliner. She rocks the dramatic eye makeup to embrace her sultry, shadowy image. As a result, her eyes are instantly recognizable, even for those who bemoan that her music is fake and annoying.

Lorde 

The 16-year-old “Royals” singer hasn’t been famous in the United States music industry for long, but her cut crease winged eyeliner in her latest music video has certainly caught on. This edgy style reflects her disillusioned, minimalist music; yet it’s not too bizarre for a Friday night out. According to this makeup artist, the look lasts all day, and its shadow-like affects aren’t overbearing. 

Adele

When someone says that you have “Adele eyes,” it’s a stellar compliment. This eyeliner perfectly accentuates her eyes, and so, her ravishing voice isn’t the only memorable thing about her. On her album cover of 19, she seemed to have only neutral eye shadow, and on 21, she wore minimal eyeliner. Of course, she can make any amount of makeup look glamorous, but this latest style turns heads everywhere.

Amy Winehouse

In her lifetime, critics were not afraid to call Winehouse’s bold style “trashy” or “overdoing it.” Yet, it’s quite possible that her fearless eyeliner choices are inspiration for the thick wings we see all over red carpets and magazines today. The best part about her look is her resoluteness in the huge wings—she knew she caught bad press for them, but she painted them out anyway, proudly fabulous.

Marina and the Diamonds

Marina is never seen without that reputable little black heart on her cheek. Despite rumors floating around on the Internet, it’s not a tattoo—is it in fact eyeliner. Marina, herself, paints it on every morning. Though her motivations aren’t completely clear, it’s obvious that her interesting usage of eyeliner distinguishes her from other pop artists looking to establish an image; and her audacity is both stylish and admirable.  

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt