Five Benefits of Eating Apples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We steal them from Market, grab them on the go, and dip them in peanut butter. With zero fat, sodium, or cholesterol, apples should be a consistent staple in our daily lives; especially when fresh fruits and vegetables can be scarce in the average college student’s diet. Here are a few of the many benefits of incorporating apples into your schedule. 

1. Keep your immune system in check.

It’s extremely easy to get sick when in such close proximity with your classmates. Cafeterias such as Market Central and The Perch (where everyone can touch everything) aren’t exactly helpful in keeping diseases contained either. However, apples can help you combat this because they have an antioxidant called quercetin, which has recently been shown to fortify your immune system. 

2. Prolong your willpower.

In addition to aiding in avoiding sicknesses, quercetin is also your friend in the gym. This antioxidant allows your body to absorb oxygen more easily; thus heightening your endurance and allowing for a more gratifying exercise session. 

3. Restrain your food intake.

Papers due, friends going out, and sleepless nights—these are just a few of the many factors that can increase your food intake, probably without you even realizing it. Not only are on-the-go snacks fattening (Lay’s potato chips, damn you) but most are quite unfulfilling (sorry, Maruchan ramen). Fortunately, apples are high in fiber so they will keep you eating healthy while also satisfying your feelings of hunger. 

4. Cheap, y’all.

Some of the prices of delicious fruits such as raspberries, strawberries, and grapes are cringe-worthy. Apples on the other hand are just as delicious, but they are consistently less expensive. The average price of grapes is about $1.86 per pound, compared to $1.39 for apples. 

5. Whiter smile.

According to Doctor Oz, apples will act as a natural teeth whitener—a less harsh substitute for teeth whitening strips. The flesh of the apple itself is a scrubber for the enamel of the tooth, cleaning off stains and bacteria. The apple’s malic acid also aids in the stain-removing process.

So, the “apple a day” adage is not far off from the correct mark. Not only are they convenient, but apples also help you look better and feel better. Next time you want to dive into the chocolate chip cookies, swipe a couple of those shiny red apples instead.  

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Photo Credit

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt