matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Finding Solidarity in Pain: #WhyIDidntReport

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

For many women, the recent news cycle has been nothing short of traumatic. Bill Cosby was sentenced to state prison for sexual assault. The Senate Judiciary Committee heard testimonies from Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and Brett Kavanaugh, who she has accused of sexual assault. Both of these events have given life to several social media hashtags, including #BelieveWomen, #BelieveSurvivors and #WhyIDidntReport. Despite the pain and anger that has surged on social media, these hashtags have spurred conversation surrounding sexual assault and created a support network of women who finally feel safe speaking up.

The trauma brought about the news, especially the coverage of and reactions to the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, has felt, to some survivors, as though they are being re-victimized all over again. Others found Dr. Ford’s courage to stand up inspiring. Many found the conversation sparked by these events to be eye-opening as more and more people discovered they know at least one survivor of sexual assault. I’ve spent the last few days reading through Twitter, and I’ve found all of the following tweets to be particularly striking.

Some were hurt: 

I’m feeling three emotions right now and I believe this is true for many women:1) Bone-deep, crushing heartbreak for Dr. Ford, for what all women have to do to defend our humanity.2) Exhaustion.3) Rage. Unbridled, seething rage. We will avenge this.

— Emmy Bengtson (@EmmyA2) September 27, 2018

Some were reflective:

When a woman says, “This man raped me a long time ago,” we say, “But that was in the past.” When a girl says, “This boy raped me last night,” we say, “But we can’t wreck his future!” And there she stands, suspended between his past and his future, with no value of her own.” https://t.co/EZUW3wlWeO

— Anya / Dr. Strangely Literal ? (@StrangelyLiterl) September 19, 2018

Some were grateful:

Brave Christine Blasey Ford ….. you are a shining example of courage and strength. It is heartbreaking to watch you have to relive this horrific moment in your life time and time again in front of the whole world. Thank you for speaking out. #WhyIDidntReport #MeToo

— Caitriona Balfe (@caitrionambalfe) September 27, 2018

And some were looking toward the future:

The world is packed full of men who think they can steamroll the concerns of women with their deeper, louder voices and appeals for himpathy. They cry out that they will have their day, but every day has been their day since the dawn of time. No longer.

— Esther Choo, MD MPH (@choo_ek) September 27, 2018

If there is a silver lining to this cloud, and I believe there is, it is that so many survivors have spoken up and been able to see that they are not alone. Dozens of resources to help survivors, whether or not they are ready to tell their stories, are circulating. Dozens of resources can be found through RAINN. Here are a few select ones that are always available for personal use or to share with someone in your life who might need them. The National Domestic Violence Hotline (also available online): 1-800-799-7233

The National Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-HOPE The National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Sources: 1, 2, 3 Photo: 1

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt