Finding and Rocking the Perfect Jacket

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Ladies, it’s time to put away the shorts and cute jumpers that have stuck with us on those hot summer nights. As sad it is to pack them up and say goodbye, cheer up because fall fashion has arrived. As the leaves begin to change into a fiery auburn and the air breezes colder, (especially in Pittsburr) break out those scarves, tall tan leather boots you got on sale in the summer, and wool hats. Now what’s missing from this perfect ensemble, besides the comfy sweatpants essential for staying warm in that 8 A.M. class or late night library studying? Why a leather jacket of course! (Faux leather, as I am an animal lover).

Now it may be my James Dean obsession, (have you seen him in Rebel Rebel, woo!) but I love the look of wearing a leather jacket. It can be worn with almost any outfit, and the best part is it can be worn all year round. It can be hooded to keep you warm in the winter, and light for the summer. As with any piece of clothing, it is a challenge to find the perfect one that fits your shape and style. However when you do, it is like finding your soul mate. In my case, when I finally found “the” jacket, there was a golden light around it. Granted the light came from my computer when I plugged in the charger, but nonetheless. The jacket was made by Nicholas Bowes who has a company clothing line called KRMA. To me his jackets are chic and magnificent. To give you an idea, these are the same jackets worn by the cast of The Vampire Diaries (you know you watch that show). So I should have known the cost of my perfect jacket was enough to make my bank account weep.

Now ladies, just because we are in college does not mean we cannot find amazing styles of leather jackets close by and at great prices. There are tons of stores like H& M and Buckle that sell similar jackets designed to your style. Here are stores with jackets ranging from $20 to $50:

Forever 21 – have a wide variety of leather jackets, especially of my favorite, metallic. Check out the Metallic Leatherette Jacket for only $34.80
TJ Maxx – I received a black leather jacket (which I adore) that looks exactly like the one worn by Elena from the Vampire Diaries, if that is your style.
Tilly’s – have anywhere from short-sleeved to long sleeved jackets as well as cute hooded jackets. Check out the Last Kiss Jacket for only $40 and Jack BB Dakota for $50.
• Wet Seal – always has cute jackets check out the Belted Crop Jacket for $34.50 in three different colors
Target – has everything, and you can usually find leather jackets in the clearance section. They are not my cup of taste, but may appeal to your style.
Victoria’s Secret – What girl doesn’t love Victoria Secret. The only problem with these jackets is that they are near two-hundred dollars. However, if you are willing to shed out the money, why not spend it here; they are always having a sale which is a plus. Check out the Leather Quilted Motorcycle Jacket and the Leather Military Jacket.
• Last, but not least are the boutique stores near Pittsburgh. There are tons around and are usually hidden, particularly in the Southside, but they carry a selection that is rare to find anywhere else.

Oh it is frustrating looking for your ideal leather jacket that fits your cash flow. Yet, with the help of these stores and many others close by, there is no reason why you can’t find “the jacket” and look great for your fall wear. Now make James Dean proud and rock out your complete outfit this month.

Samantha Saenz is a senior at Pitt. She is a Communication Science and Disorders major with a theatre minor. Sam loves movies and great TV shows and will probably write about it at least 90% of the time. She is in Pitt Ballet Club and has enjoyed her time with the girls from HerCampus Pitt.
Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.