This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’re like me, your room is full of reminders of summer: bright colors, pictures of shorts, a pink patterned comforter, etc. It’s fall now (after a few weeks of weirdly warm weather), and I want my room to reflect that. The easiest way I find to decorate for the seasons is to just switch out things I already have. This can be just changing the colors, putting new picture in old frames, or adding a scented candle to your room.

If you’re a more adventurous decorator, I’ve listed a few DIYs that are cheap and easy to do, even if you aren’t a crafty person! These are really fun to do with your friends, too. I’ve also included some cheap pieces you can buy to totally transform your room. I would also recommend heading down to Pittsburgh’s Center for Creative Reuse. They have so many unique items including vases, maps, glitter, and other random craft supplies. They also have $3 or $5 bags you can fill up with as much stuff as you can fit! I love going down there to get DIY supplies! If you can’t get to the center, thrift stores are another amazing option for cheap, unique items.

When you’re starting out, the first thing you want to do is have a color scheme. You should have at least one neutral color (I count metallic as a neutral color) and 2 or 3 other colors. For example, my summer colors were pink, orange, yellow, and my neutral colors were gold and white. My furniture is all white, so it pairs easily. I changed out the pink and yellow for a teal-green, but I kept the orange and gold.

Let’s get started!

Fringe Tassel Tissue Paper Banner

Supplies:

• Tissue paper of your choice (The Dollar Store, Target, Rite Aid, CVS, etc.)
  • String
  • Scissors

Cost: <$10

Time: ~1-2 hours depending on length.

Directions:

1. Cut out several pieces of each color, each 10 1/2 inches tall and 5 inches across. You can make them taller, which will make for longer fringe, and wider makes it thicker. My tassels are about 4 inches long.
  2. Cut 3 1/2 inch slits however thin you want them on both of the long ends. You can double or triple up pieces to do more at one time.
  3. Turn the paper sideways and start rolling/folding them.
  4. Fold it in half.
  5. Tie it just above the fringe with string. I double knot just to make sure!
  6. Repeat this process with as many pieces as you need. I made 40 tassels in all. My banner is just over 3 feet long!

Personalized Corkboards

Supplies:

• 1-2 rolls of cork (mine are 14 in x 21 in x 1/8 in from Michaels)
  • Paint (49 cents each at Michaels)
  • Brushes
  • Something to cover the floor
  • Scissors

Cost: $10 +

Time: ~1 – 2 hours

Directions:

1. Cut out whatever shapes you want. I am making a moon and a scarf to replace my summer fruit. Some other ideas are your initials, Pitt or Greek letters, a cat, your favorite food, a book, a sweater, a boot, a snowflake, a cloud, or a meaningful symbol. You can do one board or many; it’s up to you!
  2. Lay down plastic or an old sheet so you don’t mess up the floor with the paints.
  3. Paint your design! Have a friend help you if you aren’t artistic or go off of a picture from the internet.
  4. Decorate it with glitter or anything else you want. After it dries, use command strips to hang it on the wall. Add pins and you’re done!

Washi Tape Frames

Supplies:

• Washi Tape
  • Scissors

Cost: <$5

Time: 5 min

Directions:

1. Put whatever you want framed on the wall. It doesn’t have to be a picture, it could be a knick-knack or whatever you want to display.
  2. Tape a box around your item. You can either tight-line it or let some white space between the item and the tape.
  3. Add smaller strips of tape to the corners at a 45oish angle.
  4. Add another box connecting the strips and you’re done!

See, wasn’t that easy?

Here are some other easy decorating ideas if you don’t have much time!

• Jewelry display: Pin up your necklaces on the wall and it becomes an art piece!
  • Candles: Everyone has Bath and Body Works candles, but they are so expensive. Go to T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, or Ross to get some unique candles for decorations.
  • Blankets: Knitted blankets are a great way to add color and add that cozy element. You can get one at Target for $25 or less. Throw one at the bottom of the bed or over the chair for easy access.
  • Throw pillows: These are the easiest way to change up decor. You can either make your own (maybe a future DIY) or buy a few from Target or Amazon.
  • Snack jar: Get a jar and fill it with almonds or another snack to eat. You can also just fill it with pinecones and make it purely decorative.
  • Change phone/computer background: Download a pretty autumn forest or Cathy covered in snow to get you in the Holiday mood!
  • Display your clothes: Leave out your favorite sweater or bag. It’s easily accessible and it’s pretty to look at.
  • String lights: Do I need to say more?!

I hope you got some good ideas to decorate your space with! These are great to do on a rainy or super cold day as an indoor activity with your friends. You can even have a DIY night with a club or group you’re involved with!

Photo credit: all are author’s own.

Sarah Churchman, HC Pitt's Senior Editor, is a super senior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Computer & Information Science with a specialty in User Design! She is the reserach lead in CyREN, the school's cybersecurity lab. Along with InfoSci, Sarah is minoring in Creative Writing with a focus in poetry. She is an editor at Forbes & Fifth, a student-run magazine. She is also part of H2o church. She's obsessed with tacos, Tommy Hilfiger, and ordering things off Amazon Prime!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt