Dorm Life: First Steps to Making Friends Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Graduating from high school, most of us feel like we’re on top of the world.  But, when we realize that we’re going off to college and going to be away from our family and friends, fear sets in.  You know, that feeling of you’re going to be all by yourself? The closer and closer your move-in day gets, the more you feel it. You start asking yourself, “How the heck am I going to make new friends if I don’t know anyone there?” You may be sitting in your dorm room right now reading this, thinking, “I hope this helps.” Continue reading for some tips on making friends in your dorm.  Prepare to be a bit more outgoing, adventurous, and creative!

College is the time to really get into what you may aspire to do with your life, and it’s also the time for finding yourself and having some fun while doing that.  Being in college for the first day and maybe even the first couple of months may feel scary, lonely, and overwhelming.  Making friends, especially from your dorm, is what will help catapult you into the next semester and beyond! Here are some great tips that you may not have realized are helpful in making new friends in your dorm and/or on your floor!

Make Your Space “You.”

You want to unpack and organize your room (or your side of your room) the way that you want. Make it your own.  You may want to bring your favorite posters, pictures, and chachkies.  This also helps to surround yourself with your favorite things from home and your own room back home. Decorating your walls and such can make for a great conversation or two later on!

Be Open and Inviting.

Leave your door open when you’re in your room! This is an inviting gesture to passersby.  An open door can let the aroma travel into the hall from an oil burner, incense, Febreeze/Glade holder, etc. 

Play some music while your door is open. Not too loud! You don’t want to bring your RA over, but loud enough to keep you entertained and for the people walking by to hear.  This could spark a conversation; maybe someone else on your floor likes that artist/group and they exclaim it to let you know. (Check you out getting some ideas!)

Get Out There.

Be sure to attend any of the meetings and activities that your RAs have organized for the floor.  They’re mixers in disguise! You never know how quickly you can make a friend by just attending these events.

The Way To Company Is Always Food.

If you’re into cooking or simply just eating (who isn’t?), why not get some popcorn, bake some cookies/brownies, and invite people from your floor to join you for a movie night or a round of Never Have I Ever!?!

Mix It Up!

Host game nights in your room or in a common room.  Make a little flyer saying that you’re going to be hosting a game night in your room.  You can even keep this event going if it’s a success the first time around. Simply choose different kinds of games/activities to play each time.  If you’re a gamer, you know that Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. are all-time favorites for getting people together even if they haven’t played in years. Board games are also a great idea! You could play Taboo, Last Word, Apples to Apples, or Twister if you want to get a little more adventurous.

These examples are not limited or limiting. I’m sure if you get into any of these activities the friends you make will probably have more awesome suggestions.  Just get out there, and most of all, be yourself!  

Photo Credit: 1, 2

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt