Dave and Andy’s Scoop of Advice: Slutty Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Dear Dave and Andy,

As you know, Halloween is right around the corner, and I was having some issues with a costume.  I want to look really cute and find a costume that works for me, but I also have a boyfriend and don’t want him to think I am dressing too slutty in public.  I just need some help trying to find the happy medium between looking cute and not pissing off my boyfriend.  Maybe I just haven’t figured it out, but it seems nearly impossible.  Please help me figure this out before Halloween!

Sincerely,

‘I’m A Mouse… Duh’

Dear ‘I’m A Mouse… Duh,’

The wise Cady Heron once said “In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” But she didn’t mention anything about girls with boyfriends.  So, how can you dress up and still be sexy without being slutty and pissing off your significant other? Keep reading ‘cause we’re bout to drop some Halloween knowledge bombs on ya!

How You Carry Yourself

No, not how you carry yourself home after the bar since you pissed your boyfriend off so much that he won’t help you; if you listen to us hopefully that won’t happen. We’re talking about how you act in your costume and the persona you give off to other people. Halloween is all about playing your character; if you’re a sexy ninja, be stealthy, if you’re a sexy schoolgirl, be studious, but always remember that at the end of the night you’re still a girl with a boyfriend—act like that too. Don’t spend the whole night chatting it up with the kid who dressed up as Harry Potter just because you’re dressed up as Hermione. If you make sure you show him the attention he deserves while still having fun on Halloween, your significant other will have nothing to worry about.

Know Your Motives

Are you trying to look sexy for yourself, for your boyfriend or for everyone else? When you’re picking out your costume ask yourself that question and be sure that the answer is clear to both of you. If it’s not 100% clear by just looking at your costume (and the way you act) it may be a sign to reconsider. If you want to avoid a potential argument, anyway.

Sexy vs. Slutty

We define sexy as being able to be attractive without having to show too much skin or flaunting all of what your momma gave ya. Sexy is being confident in your own skin and knowing what styles and clothes fit and complement you the best. Now slutty, on the other hand, is taking that too far; going for shamelessly scantily clad and borderline inappropriate. It’s the desperate grab at sexy and plead for attention that we see on Halloween all too often.  Don’t do slutty. You’re better than that.

Dress to Impress Him

If you know that he has a not so secret fantasy about Wonder Woman or Marilyn Monroe, there’s a definite fool proof costume idea right there. You can dress up and be just as sexy as you want to be because he’ll know that when the night is over it’s all for him.

Ask For Opinions

Especially if you don’t feel like asking your significant other and causing a fight before you even wear the costume for real, don’t be afraid to ask your friends (guys and girls) what they think of your costume.  It never hurts to have an outside opinion or two from someone whose opinions you actually value. Also, having a male and female perspective assures you that you’ve covered all your bases.

Overall the biggest thing to think about is what would you think if you saw another girl wearing your costume? Would you think she was out of line? Being a little too risqué? Or that she would most likely be upsetting her significant other? These are obviously situations that you don’t want to find yourself in, so keep that in mind when you are looking for Halloween costumes.

And remember you can always dress up like Zombie Bride… “Ex-Wife”           

Sincerely, your Hometown Voices of Reason           

Dave and Andy

Photo Credit: 1 2

The name is Dave and I’m a lean mean advice-giving machine. Seriously though, despite my humorous demeanor, I’m a pretty down-to-earth person and I like to think of myself as being generously insightful. I’m a junior Political Science and Philosophy major at Pitt and would one day love to be a high school teacher. I love to write and I think of myself as somewhat of an intellectual, with some good advice here and there. I also enjoy a nice pair of slacks and like to wear bow ties with sweater vests. I'm a big family person; my parents, brother, and my dog Cliff Lee mean the world to me. I like the beach a lot, except I'm not a big fan of the sand or getting wet or sunburn. My best friend is Andy, he is kinda cool I guess. I write an advice column for Her Campus and possibly a few interest pieces here and there. I am looking forward to getting to hearing from all the readers/inquirers.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt