Dave and Andy’s Scoop of Advice: Facial Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Dear Dave and Andy,

I have a question for you guys, it isn’t that big of a deal or too tricky, but here it goes.  My boyfriend has this odd determination to randomly grow facial hair.  I love him and all, but I can’t stand when he has facial hair.  I just think he looks way better when he is clean-shaven.  Plus it itches when he kisses me or our faces are touching in any way.  I don’t know how to tell him or even understand why he wants to grow facial hair so badly.  Do all guys desire to have some ‘manly’ beard or is he just a special case?

Sincerely,

“I’m Dating a Furball”

Dear “I’m Dating a Furball,”

Let us just start by saying we may or may not have been guilty of this same problem on a few occasions, but that doesn’t necessarily discredit our opinion (maybe it makes it like an “insider view”).  Growing facial hair is almost like a “right-of-passage” for men.  We all grow up seeing these so-called “big and manly” figures like Chuck Norris, The Dos Equis Guy, Rick Ross, and Mr. T all sporting some hefty facial hair.  It is as if we are cultured to aspire for a “facial forest” when we are of the right age.  It just happens to be that we are now in that age-range when we can grow facial hair, and most of us would be dammed if we didn’t do it every chance we got.  The downside to all of this is that your feelings are the same as a lot of girls’.  Wouldn’t it be perfect if you girls loved facial hair and we wanted to grow it too?  That’d be too perfect, wouldn’t it?  There is a simple solution to all of this though – just tell him. That being said (and made to sound so easy), it is unfortunate that we are not that intuitive to catch on to hints and little comments so easily.  Therefore, just be up front and tell your boyfriend how you feel, and even though it may upset him for 15 minutes, he will get over it.  We don’t know any couple that has ended things over a beard, so I think it’s safe to say this is a risk worth taking.

Your hometown minds of reason,

Dave and Andy

Please submit all questions, issues, inquiries, or dating problems to: Askdaveandandy@gmail.com and we will get back to you with some top-shelf advice.

Photo Credit:

http://img2.etsystatic.com/004/0/5320227/il_fullxfull.391630214_eome.jpg

The name is Dave and I’m a lean mean advice-giving machine. Seriously though, despite my humorous demeanor, I’m a pretty down-to-earth person and I like to think of myself as being generously insightful. I’m a junior Political Science and Philosophy major at Pitt and would one day love to be a high school teacher. I love to write and I think of myself as somewhat of an intellectual, with some good advice here and there. I also enjoy a nice pair of slacks and like to wear bow ties with sweater vests. I'm a big family person; my parents, brother, and my dog Cliff Lee mean the world to me. I like the beach a lot, except I'm not a big fan of the sand or getting wet or sunburn. My best friend is Andy, he is kinda cool I guess. I write an advice column for Her Campus and possibly a few interest pieces here and there. I am looking forward to getting to hearing from all the readers/inquirers.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt