Dating a 21+ Guy: Fun Alternatives If You Haven’t Joined the 21+ Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Now that the semester is a few weeks in, clubs and activities are really starting to gear up. Meetings, emails, all those rush week events- it’s an exciting time to meet a lot of new people. Whether it be a new friend from an intramural team, or your new BFF in a sorority, the beginning of the semester is the perfect time to expand your friend circle. This new entourage will most likely include some guys, and before you know it you’re exchanging flirty texts and finding yourself daydreaming about your new crush in your lectures.

However, a problem many younger college students find themselves facing is that this guy is a senior, which probably means he’s also 21 or older; and if you’re a freshman or even a sophomore (like me), you’re probably not. So before you start asking every person you know where to get a fake ID, here’s some more practical suggestions on how to tackle that legal drinking age barrier:

1.      Have a fun night in.

Rent a movie, buy some groceries, tidy up and have a throw blanket on hand- and you have the perfect ingredients for a casual (and most definitely adorable) night in. If you live off campus, cook a meal together and then cozy up on the couch to enjoy it while you watch your favorite movie. Or if you live in a dorm without a kitchenette, order in! Bars are lovely, but they’re usually pretty loud. Here’s your chance to talk and really get to know each other!

2.      Go to a house party.

There are plenty of off-campus residences at Pitt that are practically on-campus, and the house parties are plentiful. Between you and your guy, it shouldn’t be hard to find a friend who’s either having a party or knows of one. Even people over 21 like a good house party once in a while!

3.      Explore Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh is a wonderful city to live in as a student (as you probably know!) and thankfully your ID has so many benefits and discounts! Take a visit to Phipps, explore Shadyside, see a discounted show in the Cultural District Downtown, or take one of the inclines up to Mt. Washington. These are all inexpensive or free options for fun dates, and some even give you and your date a reason to dress up. What’s not to love?

4.      Get outdoors.

Plenty of dating gurus suggest that one of the ways to get to a boy’s heart is to get his adrenaline pumping, so take your date outdoors! Pittsburgh has numerous ways to break a sweat and have loads of fun doing it. Rent some bikes and go on a ride through Schenley Park. Take in the beautiful Downtown view from a kayak on the Allegheny River. If you’re feeling extra adventurous when winter arrives, Seven Springs Ski Resort is only an hour away!

Fun and creative dates will set you apart from those stuck on the bar scene, and that just might be the breath of fresh air your Mr. Right has been looking for.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt