This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s been said that books are the finest kind of escape – and there’s a lot to be said for the value of escapism recently. With all the recent political mayhem and being a busy college student, getting away is extra hard. Let’s be honest: try as we might, no one is feeling refreshed after plowing through that book assigned for English lit class.

In the spirit of sharing great stories and mental stay-cations, we asked the members of Her Campus Pitt for their favorite books. If you need help picking your next read, look no further!

Milk & Honey by Rupi Kaur

A collection of poetry, suggested by Jessie Iacullo

A Path Appears by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn

“It is an incredible book about giving and charities and provides tips on how we can best help our world.” – Corrinne Hebestreit

The Maisie Dobbs series by Jacquelyn Winspear

“They’re all novels that take place from World War I up to World War II, and continuing. They’re honestly the most interesting and well-written books I’ve ever read. I kept reading them one after another. I couldn’t put them down.” – Sophie Goldberg

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

“This book really challenged my thinking [about] race and about being an immigrant in America… I really love that Adichie’s protagonist spoke not only as narrator but also through a blog the fictional narrator wrote.” – Casey Schmauder

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

“There are several interwoven story lines, including those who suffered through or were impacted by World War II. [Picoult] includes many viewpoints of those in the Holocaust, from the oppressed to the oppressor. The imagery is harsh and unrelenting, yet tells an incredibly intriguing story.” – Tess Augustine

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

“I’m sure many people have read it, but I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t. It’s perfect for those who have a soft spot for romance, but are looking for something original.” – Kelly Dasta

Humans of New York: Stories by Brandon Stanton

“It’s not a ‘book’ book, but Humans of New York: Stories was a great read. It’s really easy to put down if need be, because every page is a new quote/story. The stories allow you to experience the lives of others and it’s really inspiring.” – Hannah Ayers

The Moor’s Account by Laila Lalami

“This is a semi-fictional account of doomed Spanish explorers in 1400s Florida, believed to be filled with gold. The account is written through the eyes of a North African slave who survives the journey. It’s an incredibly beautiful book about the crash of cultures, and sheer human will to grow, adapt, and survive.” – Caroline Eddy

A big thank you to all the Her Campus Pitt members for their fantastic suggestions!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

A senior English Writing major at Pitt, one of the senior editors here at HC Pitt. The resident maker, news junkie, and history nerd, I can hem your pants and tutor you in the American Civil War, no problem!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt