This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

On Friday February 18, the legendary dream pop duo Beach House started their Once Twice Melody Tour in this writer’s beloved Pittsburgh, and released the final chapter of their new album of the same name. After nearly three years of no live music, Friday night was a wonderful (fully vaccinated and masked) foray back into it. It was hard to tell who was more thrilled to be back in a venue: the band or the fans. The joy and wonder in Victoria Legrand’s voice as she told the adoring crowd “You’re all angels” was rivaled only by the man who yelled “PLAY “GILA”!” between each song. The Baltimore duo performed before a backdrop of fascinating visuals, such as a pair of blinking female eyes, a long, empty highway and flashing strobe lights. 

The setlist was comprised of a variety of new and old songs, such as “Bluebird,” “Pink Funeral,” “Beyond Love” and the tour/album’s title track. The band takes suggestions from their fans via the setlist creator on their website, and the inclusion of songs from their staple album Depression Cherry showed this. The whole room swayed together as Legrand elegantly crooned above her keyboard and Alex Scally gently shredded on his guitar. 

Live music is always a transcendental experience, but to see a band you love after being cooped up inside for a long time is something entirely different. I had almost forgotten how exciting it is to wait in a long line, pay $10 for a bottle of water and pretzel, splurge on a t-shirt and stand for so long that your legs ache. Beach House has been a favorite of mine for years. I first saw them perform in Upper Darby at the age of 17 with my dad. To me, their music feels like warmth and comfort. As the band performed their widely beloved “Space Song” and Legrand asked the crowd “Who will dry your eyes when it falls apart?”, I thought to myself that the duo answered their own question. 

Classics nerd, hardcore feminist, music lover.