This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Whether you choose to admit it yourself or not, class participation is the easiest “A” in the grade book. Raise your hand and 10% to 15% of your grade will follow. Despite attending a large university, over 40% of Pitt classrooms consist of 20 to 49 students and another 39% consist of 20 or less. Meaning around 80% of the time, class participation has the potential to count. In these classes, we walk a fine line between the blatant brownnosers and those who seem to materialize back into their desk at the end of class. Below is a list of tricks to overcome this seated form of public speaking. 

1. Preparation precedes participation.

We’ve all foregone the occasional reading and most of the time BS merits B’s. If a crazy schedule leaves you an hour to devote to the reading before class—skim and highlight what you can. More often than not, a few important reference points leave you with a better understanding than the Wikipedia gist. However, participation is a breeze when you walk the walk and talk the talk. 

2. Raise your hand in the air and wave it like you (really) care.

Impulsive hand raising can be a recipe for disaster. All too often your point comes out half as smart as it did in your head. Plan what you are going to say before you say it – whether that includes jotting down a list of topic points or sketching out a mental script. Even if you have the last word, at least your addition was insightful. 

3. Discretion is advised.

In that same respect, if you find yourself participating more than the professor, intervention may be needed. Monopolizing the conversation not only discounts your best talking points, but also alienates those who may be waiting to speak. Professors do deduct points for over participation. 

4. Look alive.

For a majority of professors, appearing alert falls under the umbrella of participation. Whether this means buying a coffee before class or sneaking in a nap, looking awake and aware of the conversation is half the battle. This includes the basics of sitting up straight, watching whoever is talking, and preventing digital distractions. Avoiding a window seat may also not be a bad idea with spring approaching. As tempting as daydreaming is during sunbathing season, involving yourself in the discussion will probably make the minute hand speed up. 

5. Q & A’s count.

You can also bank participation points by posing a well thought out question. Try to avoid remaining too black and white when you ask these questions. Don’t quiz your professor on facts laid out in the readings—ask about big picture items, which you already suspect may have significance. For instance instead of asking, “What was the color of Gatsby’s car?” Inquire, “What was the significance behind Gatsby’s yellow car?” This is a surefire way to start the discussion, which your professor will appreciate. 

Photo Source

Article Sources: 1, 2

Joelle is a sophmore studying Nonfiction Writing and Communications at the University of Pittsburgh. As an aspiring magazine journalist, Joelle is involved in various publications on-campus, including Her Campus Pitt, The Pitt News, and The Original Magazine. She also works as a Peer Facilitator for Pitt's Emerging Leaders Program. Joelle enjoys writing fashion features and human interest pieces. Contact Joelle via email at JoelleLSmith@gmail.com, connect with her on twitter @JoelleLSmith, or visit her website JoelleLSmith.com. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt