Appetizers All Your Friends and Family Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The holiday season is quickly approaching and that means family parties and small get-togethers with friends. The “Would you mind bringing an appetizer?” text can be really overwhelming, especially when you haven’t begun to build your extensive collection of recipes, or, if you’re anything like myself, your cooking abilities are non-existent. Lucky for you, we’ve got you covered with easy appetizers that are sure to please even the pickiest eater at the table.

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

A classic crowd-pleaser, spinach and artichoke dip is prominently featured on almost any restaurant’s appetizer menu. Now you can wow your family and friends with this simple number.

You’ll Need:

• 1 10-12 oz. bag of frozen chopped spinach
  • 1 14 oz. can of artichoke hearts
  • 2-3 oz. of minced garlic
  • 1 block of cream cheese
  • 2/3 cup of sour cream
  • 2 cups (or more!) of shredded parmesan cheese

Preheat your oven to 375o F. Thaw the spinach in a microwave and cut the artichoke hearts into small pieces. Mix together in a separate bowl the cream cheese, 2 cups of parmesan cheese, the garlic, and the sour cream. The more sour cream you add, the creamier the dip will be! Mix in the spinach and artichoke. Put the mixture in a greased baking pan and top with as much or as little parmesan cheese as you like. Bake in the pan for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve hot with pita, garlic bread, or tortilla chips! This serves around 10 people.

Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip

A staple at any game day event, buffalo chicken wing dip is always a fan-favorite. This version even makes some swaps that makes it better for you!

You’ll Need:

• 4 oz. or half a block of reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup hot sauce (As a native Buffalonian, we use Frank’s!)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
  • 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken

Preheat your oven to 350o F. Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl until they are well-mixed. Place the mixture into a greased baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot with tortilla chips and carrots or celery.

Garlic and Herb Cheese Bombs

Simple to make and incredibly cost-effective, this is a wonderful, go-to dish that everyone will love. After all, it doesn’t get much better than bread stuffed with cheese.

You’ll Need:

• 2 cans (7.5 oz. each) refrigerated biscuits
  • 4 oz. Mozzarella cheese, cut into 20 cubes
  • 4 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Preheat your oven to 400o F. Separate the biscuits and place a cube of cheese in the middle of each. Carefully wrap the biscuit around the cheese so that it doesn’t melt and come out while baking. Place the seam downward in a greased baking pan. Bake 10-15 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown. While the biscuits are baking, mix together the melted butter, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. As soon as the biscuits come out of the oven, brush the butter mix over the top of each biscuit. Serve warm.

Hummus

Because who doesn’t love hummus?!

You’ll need:

• 1 15 oz. can of chick peas, rinsed
  • 1 clove of garlic (or more if you prefer)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons of tahini (sesame seed paste, optional)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika

Mix everything and puree it in a food processor until you achieve the desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and paprika before serving. Serve with pita chips.

Pigs in a Blanket

The great American classic: pigs in a blanket. These are super easy to make and very kid-friendly.

You’ll Need:

• 2 cans refrigerated crescent rolls
  • 1 14 oz. package Hillshire Farms Lit’l Smokies

Preheat your oven to 375o F. Unroll the crescents into 16 triangles. Cut each triangle lengthwise into three smaller triangles. Place a sausage on the wide end of each triangle and roll it up in the dough. Bake for 12-15 minutes on an ungreased baking sheet. Serve with everybody’s favorite dipping sauces.

Now you’ve got all the recipes you need to wow your parents and friends with your newly-developed appetizer skills. To the grocery store!

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt