Allison Agnone: Nail Art Master

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Name: Allison Agnone

Year: Senior

Major: Psychology and Pre-physician’s Assistant

HC: How did you get started doing more intricate nail art?

Allison: I started doing nail art in high school- just doing simple things. It wasn’t until about a year or two ago that I started experimenting with more complex designs. One of the first more intricate designs I can remember doing was a set of Steelers nails for my roommate. From there I just kept experimenting with more complex designs that I would find on Pinterest or Instagram.

HC: What made you want to turn that into something more serious by taking appointments to do other people’s nails?

Allison: Things just recently started getting more serious in terms of setting up a business. Last year I did my friends’ nails a lot and we would always joke that I should start my own business doing nails for students. Then this year I really started getting into more serious nail designs. Meanwhile my roommates became more serious about trying to persuade me into starting some sort of nail service for Pitt students. We like getting our nails done but we’ve realized that places around campus can be expensive, and you can only get pretty generic designs. We met a woman in the North Side who does really cool nail art. But, since not everyone has access to transportation or the means to afford to get their nails done, we thought it would be really cool to try to start something cheaper on campus. 

HC: So are you accepting appointments from a wide range of people or just your friends?

Allison: After this past fall semester, one of my roommates and I created an Instagram account dedicated to the nails I’ve done, and an email account where people could inquire more about my services and prices. I’ve only really done nails for my friends or friends of friends, but I am trying to spread the word so that anyone who wants to have their nails done can make an appointment. 

HC: Are you planning on taking your business anywhere or is it just something to pass the time while you’re still in school?

Allison: I haven’t thought too far into the future about this, but I just thought I would always have this as a sort of side hobby. I figured that for now in college, and later in grad school, I could provide my services to other students. I find it relaxing, and even kind of therapeutic and cathartic to paint intricate designs on nails. I like to challenge myself with trying new designs, and in the end people are always thrilled to have their nails done- even though it is such a small part of their bodies. I figure that if I can use this as an outlet from the chaos that comes with college (and later in grad school) why not do it?

HC: That’s all really awesome! Are you involved in anything else on Pitt’s campus like clubs or organizations?

Allison: This year I am only involved with the newly created Pre-Physician Assistant Association. Otherwise, I spend my time volunteering at Shadyside Hospital and Children’s Hospital, and working at the Blue Line Grille.

HC: Where can people contact you to make appointments for their own nails?

Allison: To make appointments, people can email me at nailsbyallisongayle@gmail.com. It is monitored by my roommate and I. We are considering easier ways for contact if business becomes more popular. We are also in the process of designing business cards and/or fliers with pricing.

Photos provided by the Celeb herself

BA in Communication and Business Certificate in Digital Media University of Pittsburgh 2016   HC Pitt Business Manager & Social Media Manager 2015-2016 I like sleep and pop culture. @laurnace | laurnace@gmail.com *Opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect Her Campus or Her Campus Pitt as a whole nor do others' opinions necessarily reflect my own. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt