Culture > News

All of the Chaos of 2020 Summarized In 90 Minutes Between Two Old Screaming White Men: My Thoughts on the First Presidential Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

No respectful handshakes were given to kick off the first 2020 presidential debate between President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden. Although Fox News anchor and debate moderator Chris Wallace clarified that this was out of coronavirus precautions, it is clear that no respect survives between our presidential candidates after Tuesday night’s event.

This was a nationally broadcasted train wreck that demonstrated the amount of division our nation is currently experiencing.

As a first time voter, I can honestly say that the first presidential debate taught me absolutely nothing about our presidential candidates. Rather, the debate was a competition of who can make the other look like the bigger liar.  

A presidential debate isn’t supposed to be about inciting fear upon the American people, it’s about the candidates not only articulating their visions and ideas, but plans to ensure that Americans will be confident in their choice come Inauguration Day. The strategy that both Trump and Biden used in this debate was to make their opponent look foolish and villainous by pointing fingers, firing insults and taking jabs at the other’s personal life—similar to how nursing home residents react when they suspect their neighbor is cheating in a game of cards. Honestly, this debate just made me more confused about where the candidates stand on fundamental issues such as climate change and police reform.

Regardless, here’s a quick rundown of what I got out of the debate. Biden doesn’t support the Green New Deal but does have a Climate Unity Task Force, he wants to slow the reopening of the United States in the age of coronavirus and he wants to eliminate the tax cuts Trump imposed during his first term of presidency. He also doesn’t support defunding the police, rather he wants them to have a stronger relationship with their communities, whatever that means.

Trump might actually believe in climate change, or, in his words, he wants “crystal clean water and air.” This opposes what he has said in the past, for example in September, when California wildfire officials asked Trump address the scientific truth in what is causing devastating fires and increasingly hot temperatures in California, he said, “It’ll start getting cooler. You just watch.” Whatever he believes about environmental issues, it’s not his priority to spend money on fixing them.

We also learned during the debate that Trump has continuously made efforts to end racial sensitivity training in the workplace, claiming that it is “racist,” teaches people to “hate our country,” and asks people to do “things that are absolutely insane.” He is convinced Antifa will “overthrow” Biden. And, well, our president has made it pretty clear that he will never say the words “white supremacy” out loud.

This is all just a fraction of Tuesday night’s presidential tantrum—ahem—I mean, debate. The entire world went to hell in 2020. Tuesday night’s debate offered no real plan to end this catastrophe from either candidate, only efforts to paint their opponent as deceitful and destructive. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t any sort of leader supposed to provide assurance to their people?

Well, the debate made me wonder if the truth even exists for people in power.

To those of you who avoid these kinds of conflicts by saying things like, “I don’t like to get too political,” or “I agree with some of both sides,” I feel you. I understand you. I was you. But look at what’s happening around you. This is affecting us, our communities, our friends and our country. To be passive is to wait around while the world’s on fire. 

Don’t let these old white men use fear tactics to manipulate you into silence. Accept a challenge. Educate yourself. Have uncomfortable conversations with both sides and listen to someone who disagrees with you. Above all, stick up for those who are unable to stick up for themselves. 

The United States has hit rock bottom. Comfort is not an option anymore. You need to use your voice. You need to vote.

Jess is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in English Writing and Communications. She is obsessed with Duolingo, NYC and ukuleles. When not writing, she can be found reading outside of Hillman Library with her usual order of Thai tea with mango popping boba from Fuku Tea.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt