8 Sci-Fi and Fantasy Recommendations for the Curious or Intimidated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’ve never read science fiction or fantasy novels before, they can be super intimidating! Usually, the books are massive and only one part of a huge series. As a science fiction and fantasy fan myself, I’ve gathered some recommendations to ease new or curious readers into these two wonderful genres! 

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Even if you’ve read The Hunger Games before, they’re a great start for people new to science fiction or fantasy. The books aren’t super long and the plot is familiar to most. Reading (or re-reading) The Hunger Games will get you into that world-building mindset and will get you used to reading books that are part of a larger series. Even better, the second two novels in this trilogy are also incredible, so if you like The Hunger Games, there’s so much more to enjoy!

Murderbot Diaries: All Systems Red by Martha Wells

All Systems Red is the first novella in the Murderbot Diaries series. So far, there are five novellas and one novel in the full series, but you can read the first one on its own! The series follows Murderbot, a snarky, sarcastic android who works with a group of human scientists. This series is a fantastic start for those new to science fiction, as the novellas are short and easy to understand. I read this book in a literature class last semester, and absolutely loved it, so I highly recommend this series!

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Aveyard’s first novel follows Mare Barrow as she navigates a world where the color of your blood determines your status. Commoners have red blood, but those with silver blood possess special powers. This novel is an excellent start if you’re new to fantasy – it does have a fair amount of world-building and characters, but it isn’t overly complicated. This novel is full of royal love triangles and back-stabbing, so if that’s your thing, it’s only the first of four in its series!

Realm Breaker by Victoria Aveyard

Aveyard’s second series is a bit more difficult, but if you’re up for the challenge, it’s incredible! This novel follows a group of unlikely heroes as they uncover mysteries and fight to save their realm. Aveyard took inspiration from the Lord of the Rings series for this novel, so it’s a bit less heavy on romance and focuses more on the world itself. If you enjoy this novel, the second novel in the trilogy, Blade Breaker, is already out!

Wilder Girls by Rory Power

This novel is a standalone, which is great for anyone just looking for a quick taste of what science/speculative fiction has to offer. This novel delves a little deeper into the horror genre than others, as it takes place on a secluded island that houses an all-girls private school that has just been put in quarantine by the government. There are plenty of twists, turns and jumpscares in this fantastically spooky novel if that’s what you’re into!

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

I will admit, I’m a bit biased here because this is one of my favorite fantasy series ever! This novel is the first in a trilogy and follows Feyre, a human woman, who finds herself wrapped up in the politics and happenings of the fae realm. This series is filled with romance and drama, and I personally could not put this book down. The books are a bit long, but I assure you, if you enjoy the first novel, you will enjoy the next two even more. 

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I haven’t read this novel myself, but I’ve heard great things about it from everyone I know who has! It follows a rivalry between two circus magicians, Celia and Marco. Despite their rivalry, the two fall in love, complicating their situation. This novel is also a standalone, for those interested in a quick taste of fantasy!

Red Rising by Pierce Brown 

This novel is the first in a trilogy and is set in a human colony on Mars. Every human falls on a hierarchy of colors that specifies their social class. The main character, Darrow, is a lowborn Red. I haven’t read this series either, but my dad (who is responsible for my love for science fiction and fantasy) absolutely adored this series and highly recommends it to anyone looking for a new science fiction read. There are two other novels in the series, and two novels in a second trilogy are already out. The final novel of the second trilogy is set to be released later this year! 

Alison is a second-year student at the University of Pittsburgh, and she is currently serving as an editor and writer. Her favorite things to write about are video game/pop culture commentary, music recommendations, and mental health advice. Alison is majoring in Communication Science and Disorders, minoring in English Literature, and working towards a certificate in American Sign Language. In addition to Her Campus, she is a member of the Honors College and National Student Speech Language Hearing Association chapter at Pitt. She is also a research assistant at the Brain Systems for Language Lab at the University of Pittsburgh's School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences. In the future, she plans to attend graduate school for either Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology. In her free time, Alison loves to read, play video games, listen to music, and hang out with her cat, Peanut Butter.