This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The concept of Netflix was great from day one…and then Netflix started producing its own content. There are now so many fantastic shows it’s hard to choose between them. The following are the eight best Netflix originals that you need to watch now.

American Vandal

When I found out that American Vandal was about a high school senior accused of spray painting images of male genitalia on teachers’ cars, I did not have high expectations. Boy was I proved wrong. American Vandal is a hilarious satire of true crime documentaries such as Making a Murderer (another Netflix original). Complete with thrilling twists, American Vandal is a fast and entertaining watch.

Dark

Dark is a total mind-f*** of a show will keep you perched on the edge of your seat from the first minute. The show is originally in German and should definitely be watched in its original language with subtitles in order to keep the actors’ passionate performances intact. When local children in a small German town start disappearing, secrets from three generations start unfolding. The show is thus set in three different timelines. Dark is an aesthetically beautiful science fiction piece that REQUIRES a second season.

Big Mouth

John Mulaney and Nick Kroll are a force to be reckoned with in the animated series Big Mouth. Big Mouth follows middle schoolers Nick and Andrew as they navigate their way through puberty and various young relationships. While the humor can be a bit crude at points, I would still describe this show as down-right hilarious. 

Atypical

Not many people have knowingly interacted with an individual on the Autism spectrum. Even those who have likely haven’t seen the ins and outs of raising a child with such a serious disorder, and the impact it can have on family life. Atypical brings this struggle to life. While I wouldn’t say Atypical is Netflix’s best-made series, it does an excellent job of portraying Autism. Keir Gilchrist knocks it out of the park as Sam, the main character who struggles with the disorder.

The End of the F***king World

Since its creation, The End of the F***king World has received well-deserved critical acclaim. It’s dark but still funny and has an incredible concept. The show focuses on James, a 17-year-old who thinks he is a psychopath, and his classmate Alyssa who convinces him to run away with her. Little does Alyssa know, James intends to make Alyssa his first victim. Hilarity ensues.

Mindhunter

Ever wonder how we began to profile serial killers? Mindhunter, which is based on a true crime novel, is the answer. It revolves around two FBI agents who interview imprisoned serial killers with the hopes of understanding their psyche and applying this knowledge to current and future cases. The acting is a major plus to this show, and I’m eager to see season two.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Titus Andromedon is easily one of the most relatable TV characters ever created, with brilliant quotes such as “I’ve decided to live as a bed from now on” and “I envy you. I’ve never been able to meet me.” Titus is one of the main characters of Tina Fey’s show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. If you are looking for a good laugh, check out this show about Kimmy Schmidt adjusting to live in NYC after being rescued from a doomsday cult.

Stranger Things

There was no way to make a list of top-notch Netflix Original Series without including Stranger Things. Stranger Things looks aesthetically fantastic and features an all-star cast (of children I’d like to adopt) in a coming-of-age story that combines elements of horror, comedy, thriller, science-fiction and drama all in one. This is a must watch. 

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Hi! I'm a junior at Pitt and I finally learned how to pump my own gas (But only at some gas stations - sorry, I'm from Jersey). I'm a big fan of cities, fast cars, alternative music and thinking outside the bun. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt