A Legendary Return: A Review of ABBA’s 2 Newest Singles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

After 35 years of being disbanded, legendary Swedish pop group ABBA has made a legendary return to the industry, releasing two new songs “I Still Have Faith In You” and “Don’t Shut Me Down” from their soon to be released reunion album, Voyage. While ABBA may have broken up in 1982, their music has left a remarkable impact on pop culture, reaching audiences even today. Hits like “Dancing Queen” and “Mamma Mia” are still being played all over the world, whether it be on the radio, in department stores or even remixed at weddings and bar mitzvahs. The musical turned movie Mamma Mia!, adapted from ABBA’s music, immediately became an international phenomenon upon its release, with a soundtrack that has inspired an entire new generation of fans. ABBA’s ability to maintain relevancy has made fans, like myself, over the moon about their new music and eager to hear Voyage this November.

To begin, “I Still Have Faith In You” is reminiscent of ABBA’s song “I’ve Been Waiting for You” with its moving and gentle tone. This song is definitely an emotional one, with powerful lyrics and harmonies that remind audiences why ABBA is so beloved and remains in such high regard. With a slower beginning that crescendos into a more upbeat and joyous bridge and final chorus, this song invokes pure joy and encapsulates everything that makes ABBA’s work so special and timeless. Songwriters Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus once again delivered with their beautiful and poetic lyrics like, “We do have it in us, new spirit has arrived, the joy and the sorrow, we have a story, and it survived.” This songwriting duo has such a unique and rare talent with words, often bringing out the most raw and genuine feelings from those who listen to their music. These lyrics in particular create such a vivid story of nostalgia, love, togetherness and reunion.  

The next track, “Don’t Shut Me Down” is a funky, cheerful song with an incredible dance beat. Like most ABBA songs, “Don’t Shut Me Down” makes you want to get up out of your chair and grab someone you love. It even has a similar to energy to some of ABBA’s other popular songs like “Chiquitita” and “Honey, Honey”. This song is an example of ABBA’s very specific and intoxicating sound, a genre that no band has been able to match. Hearing the voices of Agnetha Fältskog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad after an almost 40-year absence is incredibly comforting, and a reminder of a simpler time.

Overall, these two songs are indicative that the release of ABBA’s upcoming album Voyage will be nothing short of legendary.

Hi, I'm Michele! I'm a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in English and Communications with a minor in Theatre Arts. I love singing, listening to music, being with my friends, and watching John Mulaney comedy specials.