Style > Decor

7 Unique Ways to Decorate Your Pumpkin for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So, you’ve just picked out your favorite pumpkin from the patch, but you’re tired of carving the same old jack-o-lantern face into it every year. Well this year, you don’t have to! Check out these fresh ideas for decorating your pumpkin, whether it’s cutesy or spooky.

1. Comedic carvings

Give your friends a good laugh (and scare) with this genius carving design.

2. Painted pumpkins

With a paint brush in hand, you can transform your pumpkin into a colorful masterpiece!

3. Put the “owl” in H-owl-oween

Use the seeds inside your pumpkin to take an owl carving to the next level.

4. Stencil & spray paint

If you have trouble designing your pumpkins freehand, this is perfect for you! Print some stencils from online, cut them out and pin them to your pumpkin. Then all it takes is one spray of the can to bring your design to life!

5. Wrap it up mummy style

Remember that first-aid kit your mom gave you freshman year? You can finally put it to use! Wrap your pumpkin in gauze and top it off with googly eyes for a spooky mummy pumpkin.

6. Glitz & glam

Just another reason to use sparkles!

7. Spooky spider web

Drape white yarn around your pumpkin to create the web. Hot glue some creepy spiders to complete the look.

For more ideas, go to Pinterest and search “pumpkin decorating” for a good place to start. Happy decorating!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Erin is the President of HC Pitt. She is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering, currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. Besides Her Campus, she is also involved in Pitt American Society of Civil Engineers. When Erin isn't studying, you can find her dancing, binging New Girl, jamming out to John Mayer or exploring the Burgh!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt