6 (Free) Resources to Take Advantage of On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s a known fact to many that Pitt is a fantastic school, offering excellent academics and ample extracurricular opportunities for its student body. There are so many different classes to enroll in, about a million different organizations to join (have you seen all the tables at the activities fair?), and a plethora of offices/departments with specific purposes on campus. However, with so many unique happenings on campus, you might miss out on some of the great opportunities that are offered!

Stress-Free Zone

College is stressful, right? Balancing schoolwork, a social life, your physical health, and everything else life decides to throw at you, we all could use a break sometimes to take it easy and de-stress. Lucky for us, on the third floor of the William Pitt Union, we have the Stress-Free Zone, which offers different classes and workshops, including yoga and meditation to help keep your mind healthy.

Student Health Center

In a perfect world, nobody would ever get sick, but let’s be real… We’re in college. From being around so many different people, you’re bound to get sick at some point during your college career, and, luckily, we have a Student Health Center located right in Nordenberg Hall. It offers a wide variety of services that we already pay for in our tuition, so why not take advantage? If you’re ever feeling under the weather, you can either walk in or make an appointment and you will be taken care of. If you happen to need any medication, there’s a pharmacy right in Nordenberg, too, so you won’t have to make the trip to Rite Aid or CVS.

Counseling Center

Located in the same building as the Student Health Center is our Counseling Center. If you ever have an issue that you need to talk to someone about, you can always make an appointment for individual or group counseling. And if there’s a problem that they can’t help you with, they’ll refer you to a mental health service off-campus and make sure you get the proper care you need.

Office of Career Development and Placement Assistance

The main point of college is to graduate with a great job, feeling prepared to enter into the “real world,” right? However, it’s fairly difficult to create a stellar résumé and nail an interview without the help of any others. The CDPA offers so many great services, including résumé and cover letter review and mock interviews. They have specific career consultants for each major/pre-professional area, so you’re sure to get the best advice specifically for you. Whether you’re an underclassman who wants to look at different career paths, a sophomore/junior in search of an internship, or a senior who has no idea what you want to do after you graduate, you’ll find some assistance here!

Writing Center

Need help on that essay due next week? Make an appointment at the Writing Center, located in the O’Hara Student Center. You’ll be paired with either an undergraduate or graduate English student, or an English professor to help you with your writing. Whether you’re not the best at grammar, you need help forming a thesis, or you just want another set of eyes to give you some advice on your paper, definitely take a visit here.

Math Assistance Center (MAC)

Just like the Writing Center — except for math! The MAC is located in the O’Hara Student Center and it’s filled with math experts, so if math isn’t your thing, check this place out!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Emily Kearns is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh. She is pursuing a dual major in Communication and Business, along with a certificate in Digital Media.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt