5 Ways in Dealing with Being Apart from a Sick Loved One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Whether it’s midterms or a twenty paper due that was holding you down in the 412, the mid semester blues have finally ended thus allowing you to enjoy a week of freedom. While many of you may have been enjoying the sun, the rest of us got to spend a week doing double shifts or going home.  As bitter as I may have been studying for more midterms over break instead of lying on the beach with my friends; I was happy to go home for the sole reason of seeing my family.

If you have ever experienced or are currently experiencing having a loved one battling an illness, you know how precious having free time is to being able to see them. Exams, homework, traveling expenses, and a weekend make it hard to visit our loved ones. On top of that, it’s hard to balance school, a social life, and an ill family member; especially when it’s your first year being away from home. Despite their illness, sick relatives want you to stay in school, stop the constant worrying, and enjoy being young. Like many students whom are dealing with this issue, you may have trouble discussing with others your grief because you don’t wish to be pitied. My reason for writing this article is to help others ease their mind from worry and struggle of not physically being close to their sick relatives or loved ones more often. Listed below are a few suggestions that may help you spend more time with them.

1. Video Chat

If you haven’t used Skype, Oovoo, Face time, etc. to visually communicate with your loved one, start right away. Besides being free, it’s the easiest method for the other person to use from anywhere in the comfort of their own home. Set aside some time to video chat with this person weekly. Seeing their faces more often may help you cope with not being able to be by their side and let’s you see how they are holding up. Also, it does well for the other person by cheering up their spirits.

1. Visiting Goals

If time and finances are your biggest issues of standing in your way from seeing this other person more often, try making goals or write down dates in an agenda book for when you are able/free to visit. For example a goal may be attempting to visit home and helping out at least once a month. Setting goals or a set date will motivate you in getting work done thus allowing more time between you and this person. This will also force you to save up the money for traveling expenses.  

1. Care Packages

Most people love surprises, and there is no better way to cheer up a sick loved one than sending them gifts. Include their favorite movie, book, candy, clothes, etc. in the package. This will especially come in handy on the days when they need distractions from their pain.

1. Ease Their Stress

Most of you are probably pros at assisting and supporting a loved one. However, it gets harder as you move on in your own life. So to take advantage whenever you’re home, try easing this person’s stress with anything they may need such as: groceries, housecleaning, or taking care of their pet. If one of your parents are ill and you have younger siblings, take them off your parents’ hands for awhile and let them visit you at school for the weekend. When you go back to school you’ll feel much more comfort in that you were able to let them rest.

1. Remember to Take Care of You!

I know how hard it is in trying to focus on your academics when all you want to do is help out at home. However, it’s important to remember to take care of yourself; for your sake and for your loved ones as well. It will also ease the worries of the other person if they know and sense you are doing well.

If you’re having trouble with focusing on your academics, balancing everything, or grieving try talking to someone, such as: a therapist, going to the counseling center at school, or a hotline. Try not to put the weight of these issues on your shoulders as it will drain you physically, mentally, and emotionally. Also remember that you have people who care for you and good friends are always there for listening and support. Last but not least, have fun every now and then. There’s no shame in forgetting about your troubles every now and then. Plus learning to have fun on your own will allow you to help your sick loved ones have fun and ease their troubles as well!

Photo Credits:

kukhahnyoga.com

http://footage.shutterstock.co…

newmommyconfessions.blogspot.com

Samantha Saenz is a senior at Pitt. She is a Communication Science and Disorders major with a theatre minor. Sam loves movies and great TV shows and will probably write about it at least 90% of the time. She is in Pitt Ballet Club and has enjoyed her time with the girls from HerCampus Pitt.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt