5 Things Nicki Minaj Has Taught Us About Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Other than her flawless raps and amazing body, Nicki Minaj is also a queen of style. She slays at every event she attends, and while her style is maturing as she gets older, she is still bringing creativity and color to her fashion. Here are some things she has taught us over the years about looking our best!

1. Don’t be afraid to go monochrome. Nicki has rocked long black hair with a tight black dress, pink hair with a pink pant suit (and pink pumps), and still never looks bland. One thing you might fear about diving into a look consisting of one color is that it might resemble a plain canvas. But, if your makeup is on point and your skin is shining like Nicki’s always does, you can make any outfit pop! Pro tip: not all black clothing is the same shade of black; the key is to make sure you wear the same black.

2. You don’t have to stick to any one particular style. Nicki has worn everything from head-to-toe leather, to sleek cutout dresses, and even rainbow fur. If you have already worn a snapback and gray button down to class, you can still rock hair bands and dresses if you choose. Your own style is not a one-time thing; each day contributes to your aesthetic!

3. Use your own culture. You’ve seen the modern day queen of rap wear Trinidadian headdresses with the fun, bright Carnaval outfits of the Caribbean. What’s your own culture? Have fun incorporating patterns, symbols, even traditions that bring your heritage to your everyday style.

4. Create your own looks. Style isn’t just cut into genres like hipster and sporty. All your interests- your job, your culture (even your laziness) all come together to create your unique style. Own that! If you think something is off-limits because nobody has done it before, remember that nobody has ever been YOU before.

5. It’s all about face. A huge part of Nicki Minaj’s beauty is her flawless makeup. Work on perfecting your own makeup look.  Whether that means tons of makeup, just a swipe of eyeliner, or no makeup at all, make sure that you do what makes you feel like you.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Hi, I'm Sarita. I am a senior Communications major at the University of Pittsburgh. My writing topic interests include job acquisition, school survival tips, Latin culture, feminism, fashion, nutrition, and current events.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt