This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As the leaves are starting to turn and temperatures begin to drop, everyone seems to be in the mood for love. Something about the sun setting early seemingly causes people to get into relationships and situationships left and right. Whether you are in a relationship, single, or somewhere in the middle, you can experience the thrills of being in love through the big screen. Make room in your calendar, grab some hot chocolate and get ready for full-on romance.

When Harry Met Sally (1989)

Can men and women truly be only friends? Harry Burns doesn’t think so but Sally Albright does. The first time they met, they hated each other. Bickering and squabbling on the drive from the University of Chicago all the way to New York City. The second time they meet, Harry doesn’t even remember her. The third time, they became friends. Rob Reiner’s 1989 film exudes excellent dialogue and hilarious quips and poses the dilemma when Harry and Sally find their so-called friendship becoming so much more. 

What’s Up Doc (1972)

What happens when four different people staying in the same hotel have identical bags? Peter Bogdanovich’s classic screwball comedy follows a musicologist, government agent, broke 20-year-old, and rich aristocrat and the chaos that ensues from four identical plaid overnight bags. Throughout the confusing excitement, there is identity theft, falling in love, car chases, family reunions, kidnapping, and a woman named Eunice.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

If fake relationships are your thing then you will love this one! Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) is convinced she could make a guy breakup with her in 10 days and Benjamin Barry is convinced he can make a girl fall in love with him in 10 days. These separate challenges create a hilariously disastrous relationship of confusion and deception. However, a bond begins to form and they find themselves truly falling for each other. This Wattpad-trope romcom is sure to pull at your heartstrings and leave you asking: What will happen when they find out the other’s intentions?

Emma. (2020)

For all the period piece enthusiasts: Emma. is the movie for you. Stuck-up, snobby, aristocrat Emma Woodhouse truly means best. While not interested in love herself (so she thinks), she preoccupies her time with meddlesome matchmaking of eligible women in society. She is confident in her expertise, however, finds herself wreaking havoc on the lives of her friends and families. Emma.is sure to capture you in the richness and excitement of drama and gossip within Regency-era high society.

It Happened One Night (1934)

Looking for the romance movie that started it all? Look no further than It Happened One Night. High society heiress Ellie Andrews is running away to be with her lover, but on the bus from Miami to New York, she falls asleep on recently unemployed reporter Peter Warne. Together the two hatch a plan to get Ellie back to her fiance. Through hitch-hiking, broken buses, and practically everything going wrong, the pair find themselves pondering their relationship as a whole and dreading what will happen once they get to New York.

So whether the crunchy autumn leaves bring the beginnings of new relationships or the dread of yet another winter, these movies will surely put you in a better mood.

Lila Ryan is a first-year student at the University of Pittsburgh and is currently a writer. Her favorite things to write about are film/music reviews, pop culture, and pretty much anything arts related! She is pursuing both a major in History as well as a minor in Political Science. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is a member of Pitt’s Treble Choral Ensemble and Pitt Dance Ensemble. In the future, she plans to attend graduate school for a Master of Arts with Teacher Certification. Outside of class and Her Campus, Lila loves baking, Fleetwood Mac, reading, movie marathons, hockey, flowers, and everything coffee-related.