5 Reasons Why It’s Okay to be a College One Directioner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

One Direction, N’Sync, Backstreet Boys, The Beatles. We all love boy bands whether we admit it or not. I am personally obsessed with One Direction and I have no shame. Say it with me, “I am a proud college Directioner.” There are many reasons why most of us sing “What Makes You Beautiful” in shower but not in public; one, they are adored by many fans, all under the age of 15. Two, they are mainstream pop and it’s not cool to be mainstream. Three, they make us believe in a false sense of reality, that one day we meet and fall in love. On the other hand, there are plenty of reasons why it is okay to like One Direction.

1) They can actually sing: If you didn’t know, they all came into X-Factor as solo artists. They clearly had talent to get onto the show. The boys were eliminated as solo artists but brought back to become a group. I can say that I have seen them live and they are just as amazing as they are on the album.

2) Their style: We all love the European style. Why do they look classy all the time? I’ll admit some days I wear the yoga pants and sweatshirt but usually I dress to impress. It is important to present yourself in the best light. And boy do these boys do that, in their a tad too tight skinny jeans and blazers.
3) They are attractive: You are lying to yourself if you say none of the boys (Zayn, Harry, Liam, Louis, and Niall) aren’t attractive. They have accents and their faces help that cause.

4) They empower you: I asked one of my twitter followers why she loves One Direction and her top reason was because “They make me feel beautiful, sexy and confident. They make me a ball of unstoppable.” Who wouldn’t want to be told they are beautiful while listening to a song?

5) THEY ARE OUR AGE!: People tend to forget when they judge me that One Direction consists of 5 boys ranging from the ages of 19 to 21. So while all the 12 year olds may be a fan and claim “they are in love.” They really have no chance, neither do I but one can dream.

So next time you hear a One Direction song or see a picture of them, don’t judge and remember the five reasons why it’s okay to like them while in college.

Here is a video of me fangirling to their VMA performance: http://youtu.be/MgO7-ACWKXA

Here is a video of me fangirling to their new single: http://youtu.be/U4b6OdyrLFk

I have been a proud Her Campus writer since my freshman year at Pitt and I am now the Social Media Editor for the chapter. So excited to see where the chapter will go but sadly I am a senior graduating in 2015 with a Communication and Art History major and Film Studies minor.
Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.