5 Reasons to Get Yourself a Carnegie Library Card Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Everyone remembers the first thing they did at college. Once all the unpacking and registering was done, most people went off to find new friends, get free t-shirts and explore the buildings where their classes would soon be held. The first thing I did – bearing in mind that I’m not like most people – was get a library card from the Carnegie Public Library.

Pitt is a campus of a lot of libraries, most of which you only need your student ID to access. Most students wouldn’t consider Carnegie a useful option. They might not think of it as part of our campus – perhaps more a property of CMU than of Pitt.

A Carnegie Library card is a decision you won’t regret. Aside from it being free to sign up and an easy way to feel more like a Pittsburgher, here are five reasons to let your bookworm flag fly:

1. It’s beautiful.

CPL has the appeal of a Zen garden. The main reading rooms have an open floor plan, tons of natural light and the relaxed feeling that only the smell of coffee and contemplative quiet can bring. With the exception of exam week, it could never be called crowded, and there is good people-watching to be had on busier Saturdays.

2. Libraries: Not just for books anymore.

Have you ever wanted to practice your Arabic outside of recitation? Do you need help finding a job or tightening up your resume? CPL provides a number of programs and services anyone can sign up for with an email address and a library card number. You will find several levels of conversational language classes (Arabic, Russian, Spanish and beyond), test prep for everything from the SAT to the GMAT and one-on-one meetings available with a career counselor. Not to mention, music and cooking classes are also offered.

3. Have I mentioned all the free stuff involved?

From CPL, you can check out books, audiobooks, eBooks, DVDs, CDs, sheet music, magazines and journals. WiFi is always free, and there are 52 libraries in the CPL network that card-holders have access to.  

4. A magical app called OverDrive.

You may have been wondering: how does one check out audio and eBooks? If you are someone who would rather listen to your literature, or likes to have all your books in one place, allow me to introduce OverDrive. It’s a free app where libraries around the country can offer access to non-print media.

All you need to do is set up an account (which is free) and pick the libraries you have cards for. It’s available for Apple and Android products, with or without WiFi, making it great for any kind of long trip. All those people on the bus home will never know your headphones aren’t playing music.

5. Reading things outside of class is good for you.

As college students, we may think of ourselves as masters of multitasking. We can simultaneously listen to music, text and write an essay with ease. Our brains are working at top performance when we do, but they can’t run like that all the time.

Taking a break from your textbooks to indulge in a crappy spy novel, a poetry anthology or a beautiful book of photography is good for you. It relaxes your brain, letting it rest before the next onslaught of homework. While Netflix could do the same thing, it’s sometimes easier to remember the last eight chapters you read than the last episode you let auto-play.

Photo cred: 1, 2

A senior English Writing major at Pitt, one of the senior editors here at HC Pitt. The resident maker, news junkie, and history nerd, I can hem your pants and tutor you in the American Civil War, no problem!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt